PDA

View Full Version : what preperation is needed for storing a car?

Mattie
30-05-2006, 19:08
hopfully it will only be garaged untill xmas time....

just wonderin if theres anythin i can do 2 help keep it in good condition?

ie. fluids, rust etc

steveos_16valver
30-05-2006, 19:48
not really i would probally give it a good wash get all the break dust and road salt off the wheels ect
disconnect battery other wise the alarm will go off and pi55 the neighbours off :)
but as 4 fluids would'nt bother doing any thing

MAXIBOY
30-05-2006, 20:14
i agree . trickle charge the battery no and again and maybe change oil and brake fliuds before storage so they contain no water. also make sure the coolant has enough antifreeze with corrosion inhibiters in it. other wise its better to be able to start the car on a weekly basis. things will rust worse if you remove the fliuds. also wash the car on a sunny day allow to dry and then put it away. also use a cotton dust sheet. will stop the worst dust and fade.

arj256
30-05-2006, 20:56
Dont leave the handbrake on.

Geezer
30-05-2006, 21:03
Till Christmas mate??? I thought you was only keeping it off road for a two or so months?

Craig

Mattie
30-05-2006, 22:24
it hasnt long had a serivice so all the fluids are quite new, ill top up the antifreeze and wash it on the weekend....

i take it the handbrake will stetch more if i leave it on for 6 months straight then?

Till Christmas mate??? I thought you was only keeping it off road for a two or so months?

Craig

nope till about xmas boff!.....thats y i need another car asap!

wen u plannin on bringin urs bk?

arj256
30-05-2006, 22:50
I take it the handbrake will stetch more if i leave it on for 6 months straight then?

Yeah, and the main risk would be it seizing up

kj16v
30-05-2006, 23:03
I've heard you need to have the wheels off the ground to stop the tyres from being flattened where the been pressing on the ground for months.

Mattie
01-06-2006, 17:06
I've heard you need to have the wheels off the ground to stop the tyres from being flattened where the been pressing on the ground for months.

ill just keep pumpin them up lol....1s already gone flat :roll: