PDA

View Full Version : Silence!!! ---

madstamm
29-05-2006, 22:10
... am trying to make my Williams into a comfortable living room, which is why im:

- tearing out everything unnecessary
- putting in necessary things (damping material, big speakers, extraq weight everywhere :)
- replacing the devil exhaust with something civilized...

Q:

is the original exhaust decent (will it last a few years w/o rusting through) and is it even quiet?? The current silencer gets the car so upset at resonance (4500rpm in 5th gear) that its impossible to communicate w GF, which in my case IS a necessary thing...

so now that ive outet myself as a tired, crooked old fart, let me know about the exhaust :)

cheers,

m from s

madstamm
30-05-2006, 06:20
hey guys c'mon, I just need a quick info...

1. how long does the original silencer last
2. is it quieter than the typical aftermarket can

wavy
30-05-2006, 08:40
iv had no experiance with the original exaust but i guess it wouldnt be 2 loud and i imagine u would get a good few years out of it

fasterthanjesus
30-05-2006, 09:00
will let you know, as im currently waiting for a phone call to say that my mongoose is installed.

should be getting a phonecall around 10am.

Purple
30-05-2006, 09:24
Eleven years with the original exhaust and still no sign of any serious problem. But then again, I don't have UK's rusty winter problems. I think at 4500rpm, engine and wind noise drowns out the exhaust noise. But at 4500rpm, I wouldn't be talking much to anyone anyway. :)

madstamm
30-05-2006, 18:11
ok.... that last post convinced me :)

at 4500rpm im doing about 135kph on the highway... which isnt too fast in a straight line to talk to someone imho...

and i might want to take a trip or two over 500km, so a quiet exhaust is nice to have...

thx for the info!!

fasterthanjesus
30-05-2006, 22:25
just get a well silenced backbox instead of the original.

im finding more power and its a lot smoother.

madstamm
31-05-2006, 00:32
just get a well silenced backbox instead of the original...

...can you elaborate? what exactly is a well silenced backbox (ie what models)? or do you mean i should open my devil silencer and stuff some wool into it?

not meaning to be sarcastic, i'm really not sure what you mean. It does need to be legal here in switzerland..

Purple
31-05-2006, 00:59
I could be wrong but I thought 4500rpm was closer to 160kph running? Anyway, please post up some pictures of your handiwork. Would be interesting to see how you soundproofed your clio.

BTW, I run my car almost everyday. I believe the constant heating of the exhaust keeps it from corroding.

madstamm
31-05-2006, 05:32
can do. pics will be here:

http://www.stamm.sh/carsound

Andy
31-05-2006, 07:26
put the interiour back in will be alot quiter even with a stainless exhaust

fasterthanjesus
31-05-2006, 09:59
im running a mongoose cat back (with a decat). previously i was running a decat with the standard centre and back box.

mine is loud at idle revs and not too bad at higher revs.

the market has a few options for back boxes, from what i can gather you can get a more "sporty" sound, or go for a more subtle option.

i wouldnt go back to the standard back box due to the reduced performance.

madstamm
31-05-2006, 20:34
EXhaust:
will be putting the original exhaust on i think. cheap, and it will last till im done w the old car...

DAmping pictures:
heres the link to a thread i just started...
http://forum.carstereos.org/f-car-audio-49/t-10-door-project-underway-61523

otherwise pics here:
http://stamm.sh/carsound/phase1_dead_20060531/

cheers,

mike

Purple
01-06-2006, 06:12
Madstamm,

I think you are the right person to ask this: Is there any space in the dash to mount a pair of 6" 2-way speakers and duct the sound out though the 2 vertical slats above the blower vents? I never quite liked my 4" component speakers and powered sub in the boot. Adds weight, waste of space and I am not really into ICE anyway. The in-dash speakers would be a good replacement setup as I don't want to cut the door panels.

And, btw, for long distance driving, I would highly recommend getting the suspension and mountings replaced. The steering feedback through worn suspension can get quite tiring. I did a 700km drive once in the Williams on worn dampers and it was no fun at all. But later with the new suspension fitted, it felt like driving on cushy german bilsteins.

madstamm
01-06-2006, 07:19
hehehe i had bilstein dampers in my scoob, but below 120kph they were NOT cushy :) my suspension seems pretty good, the ride is firm but not hard.. even though i have 200kkm clocked!! :D

cant tell you about room in the dash, I havent ripped apart the dash completely yet, thats coming up though. ill post pics when the dash comes apart. it rattles too, so im afraid some things will have to go .. :twisted:

seems like a novel idea though! however, if you want to do that, make sure your 2-way is a separate tweeter and woofer (not coax). the woofer will not suffer as much from "shooting at the window", but the high frequency sound from the tweeter might not make it though the slots too well...

the tweets could be mounted in the a-pillars if they're separate.

ok, hope that helps... any more stereo related questions, feel free to ask..

Purple
01-06-2006, 11:45
Currently running Focal components. 4" at the standard mounting and tweeters on the dash. So, should be cheap to swap the 4" to 6" if I can squeeze them in.

Heh, I now understand why you need to quieten your clio. I am also a scooby to williams convert. My legacy turbo was incredibly comfortable at speeds (but boring compared to clios). My solution these days is I use my wife's japanese econo-box when I need to travel long distances, not as fast but a lot more comfortable than clio.

Hmmm... maybe you should take this poll.
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13274

madstamm
01-06-2006, 19:17
haha, sweet poll :D

hey i looked at those slots again today... forget the mids inside the dash... the would reflect like crazy and also the windshield would make for totally unpredictable reflections. It COULD sound good, but only with serious luck...

http://forum.carstereos.org/f-car-audio-49/t-10-door-project-underway-61523/page2

got the chassis today, hehehe.... will hopefully start with the fibreglassing on the weekend :twisted:

anyone got experience w relocating the windshield motors?

also, how would i remove the rear bumper (where are the screws?)

thx,

mike