PDA

View Full Version : ECU's

Daz.
29-05-2006, 15:08
Is a willy ecu the same as a valver bar the actual mapping chip?

dan-hipgrave
29-05-2006, 15:19
Yes, im pretty sure it is, ive heard it on here before i think..

Daz.
29-05-2006, 15:32
I really do hope so!!!

Daz.
29-05-2006, 15:43
infact if anyone knows for sure can you let me know straight away..

VIPERONE
29-05-2006, 15:50
The valver one is definitely different.

Willy ECUs are all the same 1 2 and 3. The chips are not compatible.. i have tried.

if your fitting my chip, it will only work in an Willy ECU

Daz.
29-05-2006, 15:53
bloody marvelous, cars dead then till I can get hold of one - my mum with all her years experience of doing it has decided to have an off day and destroy the board.

Anyone got one? :roll:

MAXIBOY
29-05-2006, 16:24
is the megane compatible got one of those

VIPERONE
29-05-2006, 16:26
NO
___

my phase 2 ecu would start my 2.o l engine.. im going to try and solder one of my chips in to it... just for interest sake

Daz.
29-05-2006, 16:34
NO
___

my phase 2 ecu would start my 2.o l engine.. im going to try and solder one of my chips in to it... just for interest sake

:D

VIPERONE
29-05-2006, 18:53
DAz,.. the ideal equipment to desolder resolder:

You will need the following things:

1.Fine Tipped Soldering Iron (atleast somewhat fine) 25w
2.Fine Desoldering Braid
3.Magnifying Lense/Microscope (Prefferable, but not needed by pros)
4.Solder
5.Flux
6.Fine Tipped Tweezers
**ideally a temp controlled iron**

STEP 1: Desolder EEPROMs ECU

a. Once you locate the EEPROM be sure to make note of the circle shaped indent in one of it's corners.
This marking is to identify which way the chip should be placed over the pads(you don't want to put it in backwards later on).

b. Set up your magnifying lense or microscope over your ECU board(Completely removed from case, duh)

c. Use the desoldering braid to remove as much solder as possible from each of the pads under the chip's legs. Beforehand, it's wise to apply a bit of flux to the pads to aid in solder flow.If you can adjust the heat on your soldering iron, try using a higher heat of around 800, since the higher heat will make it easier for the braid to obsorb the solder more quickly. Using tweezers, hold the desoldering braid over the desired pad and press (not too hard) on the braid with the soldring iron.
Once you have removed as much solder as possible from the legs and pads and things look as clean as as can be, it's time to remove the legs from the pads, one by one. Place the tip of your fine tipped tweezers(or a suitably small peice of metal) in the sapce between the leg and the chip. Using the tweezers as a lever, lightly nudge the leg off while heating the pad with the soldering iron.
You don't want to bend the legs very much, so be sure to be gentle when removing them from the pads.
Try to nudge them just enough to see or feel a slight movement, indicating that the leg is no longer connected to the pad. Continue this process with each pin untill all 6 are removed from the pads.

STEP 2: Solder EEPROM Onto board

Now that you have your EEPROM removed, it's time to solder it onto your motherboard. The first thing you need to do is prepare each pad with a little bit of solder and flux. Only use a small amount of solder on each pad, trying to keep it relatively flat and level (not all blobby). Using tweezers,position your EEPROM over the pads, making note that the circular indentation mentioned earlier is in the correct place. Once coorectly positioned, use the soldering iron to apply some heat to each of the opposite corner legs, one at a time. This will hold the chip in place while you solder the rest of the legs. Once the chip is held in place, you can solder the rest of the pins on, adding solder and flux to each one for a good connection. To finish things up, you can add some solder and flux to the two corner pins.

Hope this helps///\\\

Allan
29-05-2006, 20:48
or if you have 20p to spare pop down your local hardware store and get a chip socket, then if you want to change chips again you can just unplug it and put the old one in the socket ;)