PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers...Am I missing anything??

Mish_16V
27-05-2006, 18:04
This is a long-ish thread so bare with me, I'm a girl its not my fault :lol:

On the pic below is my coilovers. I've done suspension before but never coilovers so if I have the time I'll be doing it with a little help, if not it might have to go into the garage...

But to save hassle is there anything that looks to be missing from the below setup..

I have what is listed on the coilover parts list (all in French so I had to translate :lol: ) but is there anything else I might need before I start the job... Basically i'm asking, apart from whats in the pic and listed can I just use the nuts/bolts etc that the other suspension is fitted with or can you see anything I might need to get hold of?

This is the list-Translated so forgive me :lol:
For each side...

1 x Safety Nut (Already screwed onto struts)
1 x Bearing Disk(although as far as I can make out I have 2 with different thicknesses as below?)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/Nova_Gurl/Picture_0288.jpg

1 x Higher Cup
1 x Lower Cup (Orange Pieces!)
1 x Spring
1 x Rubber (Already fitted to shock)
1 x sleeve thread (on the diagram this points to the threads on the strut, so not sure why it needs to tell me this?!)
1 x Adjusting Key (got!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/Nova_Gurl/Picture_0289.jpg

Anything else that looks missing? Also the nut is smaller than the centre hole of the bearing disk and the higher cup meaning they just sit on top of the strut- will the other top suspension rubber I already have on my car hold these in place? Argh so many questions and so girly as well.

Just want to do a proper job so any help is much appreicated

Thanks
Mish

Coops
27-05-2006, 18:16
coilovers..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i want!

sorry useless post, am just green with envy is all! :wink:

stew
28-05-2006, 00:01
yeah looks like everything mish, but i hated fitting my ultimate coilovers as i said before, so dont ask me. i never got the right spacers, and im sure the thread on the top aint long enough.

avo's next for me....with no wide track! ive decided valver track is fine, and means you can run lower setup without buggering the arches.

new wishbones, arb bushes, top mounts etc, with avo coilovers. should be sweet come the summer.

cage first, then suspension prob, then 4 pots, then hopefully engine work. so many things to do, so little money!

:twisted: :wink:

Mish_16V
28-05-2006, 00:34
ive decided valver track is fine, and means you can run lower setup without buggering the arches.

Definetly my thinking with keeping with valver track!

Did you have the widetrack on when you attempted to fit them... I no you had trouble with yours, I was going to grab you on msn, but you've saved me the time!

I want to start the job but i'm scared I'll get so far then they won't fit. How did you solve the thread problems etc??

Coops
28-05-2006, 01:24
get the fronts at least useable before u put em on, surely? the whole front strut has to be in 1 piece b4 u fit it?

stew
28-05-2006, 11:04
no ive always had valver track mish, and the coilovers i bought were for a 1.8 16v.

it seemed to me that they had sent me the wrong product, but i was assured otherwise!

you can assemble the whole front struts before dismantling anything if you have spare bearings and nuts.

i was sent the wrong spacer that fits between the "orange" spring top mount and the bearing, meaning that the bearing couldnt turn when the steering wheel did. i then found i needed another spacer between the top of the bearing (where the rubber donought sits) and the "inside engine bay" top mount. This ment that when i tightened the "inside engine bay" top mount up on the thread (of which there is bugger all spare) the the bearing seized again. I had to fabricate special spacers so it would all function as it should. However there is still not very much thread left sticking up from the "inside engine bay" top mount (although every other clio suspension ive seen this is the case!)

It really isnt a difficult job, as long as you have a 21mm swan neck spanner, 6mm allen key, spring compressors, 17mm spanner, 16mm spanner, 18mm & 19mm spanner IIRC

Just play around and you should get it fine!

8) :wink:

Good luck!

Mish_16V
28-05-2006, 13:31
Coops, that was the idea...but as Stew said it just means having spares of stuff...whenever i've usually swapped stuff over i've just done it there and then.

Stew thanks for all the info- I've done suspension before just wanted to check it looked like I had all the stuff with the coilovers and if there was any differences! I'm willing to try stuff anyway so I'll give it a go. Probably get next weekend now due to time but I'm a bit more confident about it now :D

Coops
28-05-2006, 14:57
doh! forgot bout the bits on the car! i just ripped mine apart when i did the front springs on my RT, never thought about what i swapped! :lol: