PDA

View Full Version : Aux Belt Tensioner

Rott
25-05-2006, 10:50
I know it's on an eccentric pulley, but whats the best way of tensioning the belt, i've heard that loosening the driverside top engine mount, and jacking up at the sump, any easier methods?

Also which way to turn the key once preped?

Cheers guys!

Anders
25-05-2006, 16:33
If its just tha aux belt then you can adjust the alternator position to give you more tension. It isn't a toothed belt so there is no fixed distances between any components.

Getting to the tensioner may be a bit of a swine, need to remove the 2 plastic timing belt covers first. Then I think it is an adjustable spanner and allen key. It isn't an eccentric cam, just a pulley on a toothed rail that will move the thing sideways.

Rott
25-05-2006, 17:40
Couldn't find any way of adjusting the alternator, or that would've been my 1st plan of attack, so it looks like the tensioner pulley will be the way ahead, i've taken off all the covers now so i'm half way there, just have to find some poor unsuspecting who's hands will fit in there :roll:

Thanx

Mattie
25-05-2006, 18:00
iirc by taking out the driver side head light you can gain access to tighten the belt alot easier

Rott
25-05-2006, 20:46
I'll look again, have just changed the alternator, an never took notice, if there was adjustment there or not, will have a go again tomorrow, bored now :roll:

summeh
26-05-2006, 00:29
remove headlight

undo engine mount retaining nut

jack the engine up

this will give ample room to get your hands in there and try to undo the tensioner pulley...

dont round it off. else you in a world of shit.

2 live
26-05-2006, 08:29
aye^^^^

if u round it off tho.u can file the hole in the black bracket that bolts to the end of the inlet fanimold, this will give u a bit of adjustment

Rott
26-05-2006, 09:03
Ta Lads :wink: