PDA

View Full Version : new pad noises

rt_blackpool
24-05-2006, 22:12
finally got all 4 wheels back on with new pads at the back and new discs & pads at the front. took it for a small test drive earlier and its so noisey its untrue!! i'd hate to hear it from the pavement as i go by!
i'm 100% sure its a pad sticking/rubbing and im pretty sure its coming from the back.

if its just a temp problem (pads bedding in etc) how long should it last?
if its a more perm problem, what could it be?

wavy
24-05-2006, 22:32
think its normal for a bit of noise with new pads
iv fitted new rear and i think i can hear summat but its very quiet or im hearing things :?:

the new pads should touch the disks but still allow the wheel to turn
can u turn all 4 wheels 1 by 1 if u jack the car up

if it is very loud u better look again

or wait till some 1 who knows reads this :)

rt_blackpool
25-05-2006, 06:49
lol :) nice disclaimer :wink:

i can turn all 4 wheels however the rear drivers side needs a lot of force to move it and to be honest when you pull away it feels like the brakes are on slightly

rt_blackpool
25-05-2006, 08:41
i've found out what it actually is now, the wheel is rubbing on pad.

its made a small gauge mark on the inside of the wheel (the bit where you put the bolts through and also a gauge on the metal bit of the pad (bit where you put the screws).

does this mean it needs a spacer ring or something because i think there was one on it already? can you get diff sizes of spacer rings?

wavy
25-05-2006, 10:47
iv no idea about a spacer as mine didnt have 1 ?
but it sounds like that could sort yours out :)

Anders
25-05-2006, 16:38
Sure you have the correct pads n discs on it? An the correct offset wheels?

They are floating rear calipers so can move in out, but yours sounds like it is too far out or your wheel offset is wrong.

They shouldn't touch at all, so something is major wrong. It won't go away until the bits touching have ground their own little path into each other. Severly knacking your wheels and possibly caliper too.

Get it sorted.

Mattie
25-05-2006, 17:48
did you wind the caliper fully back after fitting the new pads?

didnt do this on my front caliper and its sticking abit now