PDA

View Full Version : Service, OMG!

Jimbob
22-05-2006, 10:32
After 3 years of completely trouble free motoring, (and me saying how reliable the car is!) it went in for a service and MOT today at my local Renault dealer, who are actually OK. Now, bearing in mind the car has always sailed through the MOT and never had any major issues, my last phone conversation almost gave me a heart attack. Car needs;

* New steering column
* Both front coil springs need replacing
* O/s front suspention mount needs replacing
* Front passenger door wont open properly (though this has been the same for years, after some scrote tried breaking into in in London - never failed an MOT because of this previously).

A total cost - initial quote - pf over £1000!!!! Looks like the Williams curse has finally bitten.

Anyone got a link for Rentech, cant seem to find them...

2 live
22-05-2006, 10:35
fukkin ell thats dear.

weld the column

springs are around £80 + vat each ish

susp mount?? b/j top mount?? £20 ish there

door..bit of fettling

Jimbob
22-05-2006, 10:39
...just called Rentech, theyre pricing it up for me and even with Renault parts it'll be cheaper. Theyre gonna call me back. Need it done quick though!

Clio_GTT
22-05-2006, 10:43
funk me, as 2live says, you could sort it out a lot cheaper than that, mount is a piece of pee to fit, springs the same, door shouldn't affect the MOT (just bend it back in place) and weld up the column.

looking at £200 tops

white16valver
22-05-2006, 10:45
You can use 172 springs at the front if you can get a set cheap?

Purple
22-05-2006, 10:45
1k is daylight robbery, if you ask me. Welding the column joint will save you buying a new column and a fair chunk of labour cost. The rest of the suspension bits and labour shouldn't cost too much.

stew
22-05-2006, 10:48
^^^^as 2live says! :wink:

The way i look at MOT's is.....

if a garage are busy they will be more enclined to pass an MOT, becuase it is a hassle for them having another car hanging around waiting for parts etc. if the garage is quiet its in their best intrest to fail a car on anything....it means they can use their mechanics time efficently, and make some money in the process.

Thats why i always insist on being present (and explain that im a qualified mechanic - which im not!) when the MOT takes place, and if anything is queiried i have a look myself. Best way to stop any bullshit.

If it flew through pervious MOT's with no advisories on these things it does sound a little suspect.

Springs generally dont break unless original and old, or youve taken a knock of some kind. Usually one lets go and its pretty obvious to drive with!

It should be easy enough to sort that lot tho....

Weld the column and it will never go wrong again! 30min job, usually people charge £30.

Springs are sub 100 quid and easily fitted!

P.S Unless you've found that ellusive money tree - dont go to renault! They shaft you in every possible way! Parts, labour etc and imo the serive aint fantastic either! :roll:

Rant over!

Jimbob
22-05-2006, 10:52
Thats what I thought... Im taking it to Rentech. All in £382, thats a welded collumn and genuine springs, everything else in and labour. Happy with that.

FATBOY
22-05-2006, 14:26
well what do you expect for a genuine renault dealer! bloody pay thru the nose with them!!! glad to see you got a cheaper price tho mate! :D

Jimbob
22-05-2006, 15:57
Me too! Mind you, those are the original springs and steering collumn so I 'spose it was inevitable... But £1k?? Dont think so. Really, dealers should be cheaper given they have additional sources of income, but cant believe the price difference for essentially the same job.

Riley
22-05-2006, 17:06
main dealer labour rates are always a killer