PDA

View Full Version : help for the new guy

kendo
17-04-2005, 20:39
Hello to you all my name is Kenny and I am the proud new owner of a 1995 clio williams three! :D Having owned a valver in the past I knew I would get a williams one day that was today! I travelled from glasgow to chesire this morning to see a car which I subsequently bought. 68000 on the clock full renault history will recently refurbed wheels with the diamond cut rim, result! On the way home whilst in 5th at exactly 4500rpm I get a horrible vibration :( a noise nothing through the steering only at 4500rpm anything above and below no probs the guy who sold it made me aware of this is this a big prob has anyone ever come across anything like this the previous owner said an engine mount was recently replaced could this have anything to do with the noise any advice is greatly appreciated oh and the blowers were working till halfway home fookin typical!
:D

Martin
17-04-2005, 21:03
Welcome fella...can't help with your bad vibrations but I'm sure one of the tech gurus on here will be able to point you in the right direction...

northy
17-04-2005, 21:05
first thing i would do is get the wheels rebalanced, then take it from there.

Is there any thing in the history to highlight any previous problems???

FATBOY
17-04-2005, 21:18
soz mate cant help ya but as posted above,im sure that some more of our tech minded people on here will be able to help!!!! when you say blowers? u mean heater blowers??? if so then snap mate! mine dont work!(i have a willy 3 as well) apparently there is a connection under the black cover where the windscreen wiper motor housings are that just falls off(needs to be resoldered apparently)

kendo
17-04-2005, 21:23
I cant see anything that stands out its been looked after timing belt at 42k renault dealer for everything, theres nothing through the steering at all its at exactly 4500 rpm like its a frequency thing like a heat sheild rattling or somethin really strange and really annoyin

northy
17-04-2005, 21:29
no idea mate....whats it like at 5000rpm ?

kendo
17-04-2005, 21:44
smooth just like it is below 4500rpm
bye the way thanks for taking the time to reply
im well chuffed to have the car ive allways wanted
its just the noise at 4500rpm is kinda takin the shine of it im flappin that its somethin major!!!

big hp
17-04-2005, 22:05
Is it a metallic vibration?

Exhaust heatshield above centre box or above back box?

big hp
17-04-2005, 22:13
Just read post properly. LOL

Does it only do it at 4500 in 5th? What about same revs in 4th or 3rd. If it only does it in 5th then i'd say the gearbox is suspect.

Mark_Ritchspeed
18-04-2005, 16:43
I know mine have always had a resonance around 4.5-5k rpm. Which is why I leave it sat at over 6k rpm at all times.

Tommo
18-04-2005, 20:58
I have a metallic rattle at 1200rpm and at 1700rpm, looked over the car can't see anything wrong, it's driving me f*ckin insane! Takin it to a garge next week to see if they can rectify the problem, fingers crossed it's nothing major!!

Col

PS sorry and welcome to the forum mate :)

kendo
18-04-2005, 22:11
IT DOES THE NOISE THING IN ANY GEAR AT EXACTLY 4500RPM WHICH MADE ME THINK IT WAS A FREQUENCY THING :? GETTING IT LOOKED AT ON SATURDAY IF I DONT GET IT FIXED ILL JUST TURN THE STEREO UP!THAT USUALLY DOES THE TRICK, BUT SERIOUSLY WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON THANKS FOR THE REPLYS AND THE WELCOMES ITS APPRECIATED! :wink:

kendo
23-04-2005, 20:51
:lol: :lol: GOT MY VIBRATION NOISE SORTED TODAY IT WAS A LOOSE EXHAUST BRACKET IM A HAPPY CHAPPIE THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED AND OFFERED OPINIONS :D :D