PDA

View Full Version : HeLp! Earth problem!

bass_direct
22-05-2006, 02:37
I currently have an earth problem..

the rear lights, the right hand side indicator, and the reverse lights stay on dim all the time when the cars running... when i reverse the car cuts out, or when i put the lights on the car wants to cut out...

it's definitly an earth problem... the gearbox earth had snapped, replaced that and problem is still there, checked all fuses and relays, same problem..

then i was messing around with the rear lights earth and it seemed to solve the problem... car was running fine etc... then after a few hours, took it out of my mates garage, and had the same problem... dim lights..

is there any other earths around the rear lights? or any other earths connected to that etc. and has anybody had same/similar problems?

cheers!

Purple
22-05-2006, 03:56
You might want to try running a seperate wire/cable from the battery negative terminal to where the bad earth is. A quick way to test this out is to use a long battery jumper cable. One croc clip to battery negative and the other croc clip to where you suspect is having bad earth.

mattyc
22-05-2006, 08:12
I had the same problem on my old 1.2 clio, it started when i installed my sub and amp and earthed the amp at the rear light earth. The way i fixed it was just to properly sanddown the point where the rear light earths and then iput it on without the little plastic clip. not sure how long it lasted for as i did it the day i sold the car :D