PDA

View Full Version : How flexable is the williams ECU?

Jonny1
21-05-2006, 16:22
Pretty open question, BUT, I was planning on:

Making some Tb's and was wondering if I used the original TPS, ICV and the MAP sensor, could I map the ecu to suit.

Also forced induction (turbo). ...what pressure can you use the original MAP sensor too, and with a change of injector's (I know there are other hardwear issues as well) could I re-map to suit? or indeed, could I re-calibrate the ecu to use a different MAP sensor of simular output signal. I've got a couple of mates at work who are powertrain calibration engineers, who could probably help given a little background and the necessary heard wear/softwear.

Am I flogging a dead horse here, can I not avoid getting a aftermarket ECU (eg, motec etc.)?

The key is, this is suppose to be a educational project. But with emphasis
on very minimal cost. Im fortunate enuf to be able to manufacture pretty much anything that doesn't require casting or forgeing and realise i will have to purchace some parts (pistons and rods for example).

I have already:

F7R 710 megan Lump
Suburu STI Pump, injectors & Twin scroll Turbo all brand new

Cheers for any help & let me know if there is anything fundamental I've missed.

Jonny

stan
21-05-2006, 17:53
The stock MAP sensor i believe is just atmospheric, so 1bar absolute. A r21 turbo one is often used in installs like yours.

The stock ecu *could* be made to run throttle bodies, tho it wouldnt be the best set-up. The ICV could be incorportaed, but not essentila, you could just go with tps and map. The eprom itself can be remapped using an r-tuner check out www.fastchip.nl tho it isnt live mapping and relies on data-logging. They also supply a pre-mapped chip to run FI on these engines, so thers another option for you.

If i were you i would look at these http://www.enginemanagement.co.uk/index.asp

adaptive fuelling control for circa £500...u cant beat it! software is comprehensive and easy to use.
if u want any of those products let me know as i can get discount on them....

were do your friend/friends work? the calibration engineers...

Jonny1
21-05-2006, 21:11
We all work at Prodrive

2 live
21-05-2006, 21:39
i asked wayne this when i had mine mapped.

he said the std ecu wouldnt be able to handle the management for bodies.

Jonny1
21-05-2006, 21:56
We all work at Prodrive

stan
22-05-2006, 00:35
lol yeah we seen that bit already^^^!!

aye, ive seen it done, but not with great results. the correction parameters of the map/tps on the main map isnt the same strategy as traditional load v.s speed mapping. so it isnt ideal.

best of with after market set-up, or get one of ur mates to knock up a control system. im planning on designing my own within the next year or so.

Purple
22-05-2006, 01:37
I was looking at this short while ago - still am, actually.
Not sure if it will suit your purpose though.

http://fastchip.nl/show.php?lang=en&action=RenaultClio16VTurbo

Jonny1
22-05-2006, 13:31
Cheers guys.

Purple, looks good value mate, not sure how good it's going to be if it's just plug and play though. Too many possible variables IMO (but then i dont really know!)

2 live, One way to find out for sure!....

Stan, Tempted to try the R-tuner to get going, probably initialy good for me to get a understanding of maping & calibration. But with views to update to live maping at a later point (when financial situation and knowledge have improved). would be nice to use the standard loom to start with too so i can do a bit of developement work without investing too much time first. R21 turbo map sensor have the same plug? Did you say you might be able to get a discount on the R-tuner?.....

On a last note, does anyone have a engine loom knocking around that they want to flog?

Cheers for all your help all, Jonny

Purple
22-05-2006, 13:47
The user "basic" from Netherlands is using r-tuner
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12287&highlight=rtuner

And here's my old post when I was checking it out.
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11073&highlight=rtuner

There is very little info about r-tuner on the internet. So, I would fully encourage you to try it out - so that you can "guinea pig" the thing out before I get it myself :D

stan
22-05-2006, 17:07
ive had/used the r-tuner...it works,,,tho i had wiring issues. but this was a one off, you will be fine!

it does the job, but the data-logging software is hassle imo...too many traces to watch/cross-reference!! tho with patience/pratice im sure u'll be fine. i just prefer live mapping....

i could probably get discount on the R-tuner, but i was refering to the KMS sytems in that link i gave. i would use one of those if i was you....but obviously deopends on ur situation.

i have a willy loom i can sell mate.