PDA

View Full Version : 4 or 6 pots

Slithers
17-04-2005, 19:48
Right ever since mark posted about the wilwood 4 pot kits he was gonna be providing ive been thinkin about.............mega stopping power.

the 4 pot wilwood kit will cost £350.00 iirc

but i found a 6 pot tarox kit for £728.30 that includes discs also.

me and jesus had a bit of a chat bout this last night and he reackons its a bit overkill havin 6 pots and im inclined to agree with him, but if anyone else has any opinions bout this please tell me as all advice will be gleefully accepted.

VIPERONE
17-04-2005, 19:54
I think its overboard too... it would be a nice addition, however unless you are planning aload of trackdays or running at lemans this year i think the 4 pots on offer are awesome and well worth an investment.....

upgrade th breaks... upgradethe tyres :-)

Slithers
17-04-2005, 19:56
I think its overboard too... it would be a nice addition, however unless you are planning aload of trackdays or running at lemans this year i think the 4 pots on offer are awesome and well worth an investment.....

upgrade th breaks... upgradethe tyres :-)

aye thats very true the money i save on brakes could be invested elsewhere.

VIPERONE
17-04-2005, 19:58
like semi slick road legal tyres :-)

NickFr
17-04-2005, 20:19
Double the price, not worth it IMOH, Marks deal looks on paper shit hot, We all agree that the brakes on the Willy are one of it's weak spots. Semi slicks are great, but you need to have consistantly good weather 8) I am really considering subject to reports of coming over and having these brakes fitted, it sounds like one of the best investments I have heard of.

richy
17-04-2005, 20:46
i have to agree 6pots are a bit overkill for normal use, if u are doing alot of trackdays fair enough, but the wilwood 4pots should be more then capale to do the job, only time i experienced these was in whats now martins banana! and they felt so much better then my williams std brakes! :)

KingStromba
17-04-2005, 20:55
Id go 6 pots just to be different. :D

Who wants to be a sheep when you can be a wolf?

Martin
17-04-2005, 20:59
Being different costs! :wink: I can think of better way to spend the extra 300 odd quid for 6 pots.

KingStromba
17-04-2005, 21:02
Mate, girls dig 6 pots.

summeh
17-04-2005, 21:42
Can someone actually tell me what a "4 pot caliper" is??? is it number of pistons?

Sorry for sounding stupid :)

richy
17-04-2005, 22:04
a std caliper u find on any road car usually has a single piston, or in short a 'pot' the wilwood 4 pots have 4 pistons which increases clamping power over a std caliper

summeh
17-04-2005, 22:07
ok cheers :)

Mark_Ritchspeed
17-04-2005, 23:14
I am quite willing to for anyone to come out and passenger ride with us at any track day we attend this year to see how good they think the brakes are.

As for the 4pot vs. 6pot debate? The main reason to use a 6pot is the fact the pistons are generally smaller enabling the caliper to be a bit thinner which in turn enables you to use bigger discs.

We arent marketing a kit like that for the Clio as IMO it is simply not needed. Believe me to run all day long at 45deg C track temps (@34deg c air temp) on slicks without ever fading at one of the hardest braking circuits in the world takes extremely strong brakes. I also regard myself as extremely punishing on brakes, I tend to have some mechanical sympathy (a little anyway) with the rest of the car, but leave my braking as late as I possibly can and as hard as I possibly can.

MatBrown
17-04-2005, 23:59
Think i might have to take you up on a passenger ride at FCS, even if i wasn't interested in the brakes, just to experience your driving! :D

Mat.

summeh
18-04-2005, 00:27
and me :P

u shud charge riders fee's, LOL

Mark_Ritchspeed
18-04-2005, 00:38
I may only do a couple of sessions at FCS though . We'll see on the day as generally you get a lot of muppets on track at these sort of events with no experience of track day driving. No offence intended to anyone who hasnt been on track, but I have seen it all too often people trying to race without fully appreciating their cars on the limit handling and taking out not only their own car but someone elses as well. Normal track days are far safer IMO.

However, Anglessey will likely be much better especially as the car will be out all day. (Hopefully)