PDA

View Full Version : bad misfire what can it be ?

wavy
20-05-2006, 15:17
my car is running really bad
its misfiring like a bitch
when i 1st drive it it seems ok then assoon as it get warmed up it seems to happen
iv took off the dizzy cap and give the contacts a bit of a scrape but its real bad still id say its undrivable now
what are the other options what else could it be ?
all i want is a few weeks without any breaks or hassle :(

Martin
20-05-2006, 15:40
no13 strikes again your not having much luck with it are you!

wavy
20-05-2006, 15:49
:( sure looks that way m8

Coops
20-05-2006, 16:09
see jays misfire thread, cud be it!

katbloke
20-05-2006, 16:20
missing when hot could be plugs, cracked cap or possibly even leads breaking down, start with the cheapest first

wavy
20-05-2006, 16:46
plugs are only about 2000 miles
i have looked at dizzy cap the contacts looked a bit rough but ok ish iv been to get a replacement but out of stock till tuesday
how can i test to see if its the leads(will i get a shock if i touch them while car is running) what do i do 2 test them ?
could it be some type of thermastat temp kind of thing ?

wavy
20-05-2006, 16:46
plugs are only about 2000 miles
i have looked at dizzy cap the contacts looked a bit rough but ok ish iv been to get a replacement but out of stock till tuesday
how can i test to see if its the leads(will i get a shock if i touch them while car is running) what do i do 2 test them ?
could it be some type of thermastat temp kind of thing ?

Purple
20-05-2006, 17:04
Unplug 1 cable. Stick in a long screwdriver to extend the contact area out past the sleeve. Put the screwdriver close but not touching the chassis. Start car and see if sparks jump across. This test is not very relevant to you as it tests for close or open circuit only; whereas yours is more likely working but under-performing cables. Better to borrow a known good set of cables to do a swap test.

wavy
20-05-2006, 18:01
thanks for the help
iv been pulling the ht leads off 1 by 1 and it seemed like the 1st 1 on passenger side wasnt affecting it as much as the others
after closer inspection it seems a bit of rain water could of got in there
so iv took the lead off and put it some where warm to dry it

fingers crossed :)

wavy
21-05-2006, 13:00
im happy n smiley again
it was rain in 1 of the ht leads
havin the bonnet off for the last few days didnt help
but i thought the hot engine would dry it :oops:

all i need now is new caliper then its back to 100% :)

arj256
21-05-2006, 14:15
Cool thats good to hear, Usually ends up being the simple things you overlook lol.