PDA

View Full Version : Taxing a car online???

NaplesValver
20-05-2006, 11:20
If you tax your car online, can youlegally drive it without the disc in the window even if it is taxed?

a quick respose would be appriciated.

-->NV

Scott-16v!
20-05-2006, 11:56
not too sure, is there an option to print anything off like a cover note for until the disc arrives?

Justin..
20-05-2006, 12:37
you can be done for not displaying a valid tax disc

FATBOY
20-05-2006, 12:44
do what del boy does and stick a "TAX IN POST" sticker in plce of the disc mate! lol... also i do still believe that some tax disc holders to this day have printed on them "TAX APPLIED FOR" but i am 99% sure its a criminal offence to not display a valid disc! even if you have one in the car and it falls from the windscreen you can get nicked! but you should be allright on a police ANPR check tho as it will show up at the DVLA that you have the vehicle taxed!

smokey
30-05-2006, 13:12
We are in the middle of a dispute over this.

We taxed the Hybrid on the Tuesday night as it had been SORN for 6 months.
Mrs used it wednesday to goto town and got pulled for not displaying her tax disc.

£60 on the spot fine and 45minutes scrutinising the car.

ANPR hadnt updated from the day before!

We had 28 days to ay it or wait for a court summons......needless to say we didnt do jack and are now awaiting out court summons.

Its a ****ing disgrace that in this day and age you have to display it.

Our argument is that it did not mention anywhere on DVLA's website that you need to wait till you receive the disc to use the car and even in the confirmation email they send you it didnt mention it either. just gave a reference number which the mrs quoted to the coppers but they didnt give a shit.

The only reason we bought it online is because we cannot get to a post office before 5pm.
The other annoying thing is the fact it took 6 working days to get to us, how the **** are you supposed to get to work for 6 days.

Roll on court :D

Clio b
30-05-2006, 14:08
Er.... i think u can only if its applied for online.... i'm sure if the coppers pull u that they can check it all out over the radio like insurance....

But not 100%! I ordered mine bout a week before it was due!

30-05-2006, 15:13
just taxed mine today, 175 bastard quid.

Well annoying. Didnt do it online either as i have the old MOT sheet, however its not hard to nip to the post office with your documents. That way its definately done and sorted and in your hand. Non of the post loosing anything.