PDA

View Full Version : Williams air filter replacement advice??

jamie
19-05-2006, 20:12
Hi all, havent been on here for a while, been busy bringing my williams back to perfect condition.

Any way I currently have a k&n air filter and my question is, what is the best air filter that I can get for the williams, what differences will I notice? Are the viper filters any good? I know some can be cheap at about £60 and others a couple of hunderds, so just wondering what the best I should go for.

Im also soon going to add a front strut brace for added handling as well as replacing the back box with a nice new full system.

Thanks for your help

Jamie

BRUN
19-05-2006, 21:44
most people seem to favour a replacement element in the OE box

i can do you an ITG for £29 delivered but they have a back log of orders so it wont arrive before FCS now im afraid

gtbloke
20-05-2006, 08:37
If its sound u want then u cant beat piperx imho, but as said the best option is the OE airbox.

jamie
20-05-2006, 09:06
What about these viper kits that places like k-tec sell for £200 odd? Are they any good, they clain it add a few more bhp??

Coops
20-05-2006, 09:09
its called promotional bollox matey am afraid! for 200 quid its basically a foam filter in an airbox, which will cost u 29 quid if u get an ITG in the o/e airbox! :wink:

jamie
20-05-2006, 09:24
Sounds about right, bloody companies!!!!

Well I currently Have a k&n on there, its a big ol thing and is very loud, iv had people ask me if the car has a turbo as thats what it sounds like, from inside and out of the car, do you maybe think I should just keep what iv got and concentrate on other things?

Coops
20-05-2006, 09:27
its upto you mate tbh, but summer on the way its gonna get hot in that cramped engine bay n alll that lovely warm air will go striaght into your k&n and make the car feel sluggish! on the other hand i miss my piperX sometimes cuz i/k do sound wicked!

personally tho i've gone the way of peformance with a o/e box, ITG panel filter from brun and nice cold air feed direct from the front bumnper to the airbox inlet, keeps the inflowing air as cool as possible and its pound for pound the best option imo!

jamie
20-05-2006, 09:35
Thanks for your help!!

Also I found out that I havent got a full exhause system just a mongoose back box, so now im looking to get a full exhaust system on there along with a performance manifold maybe (if its worth it??), whats the best exhause system to go for as well as the manifold?

What sort of differences will I notice?

Coops
20-05-2006, 16:06
i aint the guy for exhausts mate, i aint got a clue! beleive supersprint stainles fannybold is worth the 300 odd quid, frees up at higher revs and gives a bit more torque so if ur going for performance worth a purchase. rest of the system people have all sorts, powerflow seem to be a favourite. decat it n all, lunner used to make em if u aint got one but not sure if he still does, miserable git that he is :wink:

once u got the whole lot on the engine u want, zorst n that its probably worth shellin out another 300 quid and gettin the ecu mapped properly on a RR to suit ur mods, can get upto around 180bhp atf off basic breathing mods like zorst n panel filter if u have a strong engine! :twisted:

stew
20-05-2006, 17:54
i aint the guy for exhausts mate, i aint got a clue! beleive supersprint stainles fannybold is worth the 300 odd quid, frees up at higher revs and gives a bit more torque so if ur going for performance worth a purchase.

Agree with that. i run a supersprint. does make a difference but some would argue not enough of a difference for 300 quid!

I suggest powerflow, devil exhausts, or mongoose.

Magnex is a favourite but the back box is too small imo and is kinda droany on the motorway!

once u got the whole lot on the engine u want, zorst n that its probably worth shellin out another 300 quid and gettin the ecu mapped properly on a RR to suit ur mods, can get upto around 180bhp atf off basic breathing mods like zorst n panel filter if u have a strong engine! :twisted:

I would bother tbh mate. Save remapping for after cams/+headwork! Unless you know you aint gonna go down that route.

180bhp is not very likely with breathing mods tbh! power figures mean fook all as well, because everyones rollers are different.

with breathing mods you will only really free up a few extra horses, but may well improve torque and throttle response. anything else really is just wishfull thinking!

:wink:

stew
20-05-2006, 17:54
i aint the guy for exhausts mate, i aint got a clue! beleive supersprint stainles fannybold is worth the 300 odd quid, frees up at higher revs and gives a bit more torque so if ur going for performance worth a purchase.

Agree with that. i run a supersprint. does make a difference but some would argue not enough of a difference for 300 quid!

I suggest powerflow, devil exhausts, or mongoose.

Magnex is a favourite but the back box is too small imo and is kinda droany on the motorway!

I would bother tbh mate. Save remapping for after cams/+headwork! Unless you know you aint gonna go down that route.

180bhp is not very likely with breathing mods tbh! power figures mean fook all as well, because everyones rollers are different.

with breathing mods you will only really free up a few extra horses, but may well improve torque and throttle response. anything else really is just wishfull thinking!

:wink:

Coops
21-05-2006, 10:18
was just going with what bighp got mate with that figure, he got 181 atf with basic breathing mods at chipwizzards iirc :wink:

jamie
21-05-2006, 20:22
Thanks, Speaking of powerflow, I had one on my previous clio and I have to say some of the best money that iv spent on a car, was very impressed.

Does anyone here have a powerflow system, if so could you please maybe post a pic and give me your opinon on them, thanks everyone.