PDA

View Full Version : engine temps...

summeh
16-05-2006, 13:32
my water guage sits on the 3rd notch (just before the fan kicks in), bobbing up and down just below it, you can clearly see the needle moving up to the 3rd notch, then dropping a few bits. this takes a few seconds. I guess this is the thermostat opening and closing.

What worries me is that this seems a bit high? My oil is constant at 110deg. Or 100 if driving round town.

Its a second hand rad, I think its fine, better condition than my old rad which had a hole in the top. But the same thing happend with my old rad aswell.

New thermostat, meggy bottom end, willy head, new water pump, coolant, full flush etc etc.

I don't think air is getting in, and it seems to be bled well.

Could it just be the thermostat is working as normal?

Just worries me it sits so high. I've ordered a low temp thermostat in any case.

Anyone else have a prob like this?

Lunner
16-05-2006, 13:53
Sounds liek thermostat not opening fully tbh, or dodgy rad, but you've replaced that so that rules that out.

Try swapping teh headertank pressure cap for the one on Adam's car and see if that sorts it, they can fal sometimes and then system doens'rt pressurise, meaning higher temps

Purple
16-05-2006, 14:12
What's the temperature marking on the side of the fan-switch. Should say something like 93/82 or something like that. With the standard fan-switch, the fan should activate when the water temp needle is slightly past halfway, not on the third mark.

Lunner
16-05-2006, 14:16
When you say 3rd mark do you mean the 11 o'clock mark, if so thats righ unless you fit a low temp thermometer

Fan kicks in tehre, but on mine once the thermostat opens full it drops back down to between 10 ans 11 o'clock mark

mikeymikewakey
16-05-2006, 16:29
Mine always runs at just below the 2nd mark from the bottom, about thr 7-8 o'clock mark. Then when im stationary for a long while or leave it idling for a while it often goes to the 11 o'clock mark and fan kicks in. Ive never known a car run with low temps like this one does. So mine is the opposite i guess lol

Mike

Lunner
16-05-2006, 17:08
7-8 o'clock position?????

The gauges only goes throguh 90 dgerees, 0=9 o'clock, max = 12 o'clock

Mattie
16-05-2006, 18:30
just changed my thermostat and my car seems 2 be running a little hot....think it might be due 2 the coolant not getting round the engine properly due 2 a cracked coolant tank???

arj256
16-05-2006, 19:19
Try swapping teh headertank pressure cap for the one on Adam's car and see if that sorts it, they can fal sometimes and then system doens'rt pressurise, meaning higher temps

He has bought a new coolant bottle recently so the cap is new, did lend him one anyway.

Seems odd its still hot with a new rad, did you bleed it up with that technique i told you about?
Think if you have no joy a new thermostat would seem the best bet.

Lunner
16-05-2006, 19:54
just changed my thermostat and my car seems 2 be running a little hot....think it might be due 2 the coolant not getting round the engine properly due 2 a cracked coolant tank???

read my post above about the system needing pressure to work properly :wink:

mikeymikewakey
16-05-2006, 20:01
7-8 o'clock position?????

The gauges only goes throguh 90 dgerees, 0=9 o'clock, max = 12 o'clock

Ok, I translate=the 2nd mark from the bottom lol

Mike

summeh
16-05-2006, 20:10
yes my temps seem to sit around the 11oclock mark (3rd notch) fan will cut in just a "bit" after the 3rd notch.

When driving the temp does seem stable and doesn't go above the 3rd notch, so i guess the stat is working as it should.

I can only compare this to how my car used to run with a BROKEN stat, the rubber seal had perished and temp guage used to sit at first notch, or 9.30oclock.

its new everything.

i think its working as it should but im not happy with it being that high... i know its stable though cuz even if i thrash it, i still cant get it above 3rd notch.

got a low temp stat coming tomorrow so im going to put that in. (82deg).

adam: yes i used the mthod you suggested, cheers. it worked well.

summeh
16-05-2006, 20:15
i wonder if everyone is driving around with broken thermostats that piss water thru them all the time? hence the low temp reading everyone gets?

Lunner
16-05-2006, 20:19
low temp stat keeps iot on the 10 o'clock mark unless you thrash it and it gets towards 11 o'clock but i've gnever got mne t 11 o'clock unless sat in traffic

summeh
16-05-2006, 20:20
thats how mine used to be.

Mattie
16-05-2006, 20:24
mine rarly used 2 move at all!....and usualy at its hotest it would sit at 1/4 :shock:

changed therm stat and hotest usualy sits at 1/2 way now and normal about 1/4

arj256
16-05-2006, 21:07
You shouldnt really need a low temp thermostsat tbh.
Apparently there not good for the engine anyway.
Your oil temps are hotter than they should be. and the coolant shouldnt be that hot. thats traffic jam level.
Could the Cts have anything to do with it? but that wouldnt explain the hot oil.

stew
16-05-2006, 22:24
this is an interesting one!

i changed my CTS, rad, thermostat, header tank, coolant hoses...

mine sits usually at 1/2 way. however often during motorway driving it will sit just above 1/3, and then other days it will sit at just under 2/3. in traffic jams it goes to 2/3, sometimes a tad over, but nowt more than this.

im sure mine used to sit at 1/2 all the time, unless in traffic, and wouldnt fluctuate loads.

seems like my new stuff has a mind of its own.

oil temps are fine, 80 in town, 100 on motorway!

i keep thinking air-lock, but ive bled and re-bled the system too many times, with no avail.

i just wish mine would be predictable...just over 1/3 seems like the stat is open, and 2/3 its shut, but then opens and drops away to 1/3. I basically thought once the stat opened coz it was hot enough it stayed open. :roll:

Allan
16-05-2006, 22:48
Hmm mate mine sits at about the 2nd notch when running fan doesnt kick in on the 3rd on though :S

it used to but now the fan never kicks in need to get it looked at...

had my engine temp nearly get all the way to the top the other day in traffic i had to pull over and let it cool down, but generaly at speed it sits around 9 oclock mark which is where its always been.

although the other day when it got to the top on the engine temp i managed to get fuel starvation and the engine was jumping like it was a rabbit :)

ajketley
16-05-2006, 23:40
Mine always runs at just below the 2nd mark from the bottom, about thr 7-8 o'clock mark. Then when im stationary for a long while or leave it idling for a while it often goes to the 11 o'clock mark and fan kicks in. Ive never known a car run with low temps like this one does. So mine is the opposite i guess lol

Mike

Mine runs the same as yours ive thought the fan cuts in too late but as long as it doesnt over run the third mark and over heat im happy :wink:

ajketley
16-05-2006, 23:40

Mike

Mine runs the same as yours ive thought the fan cuts in too late but as long as it doesnt over run the third mark and over heat im happy :wink:

summeh
17-05-2006, 00:08
tonight before i went out i undid the screw in the rad, with the header cap TIGHT.

low and behold, an airlock sitting at the top of the rad again.

so i got rid of the airlock, and went out... guage was 1/2 the way up for about 10mins then at some point gradually went to the 3rd notch again....

so im guessing its another air lock at the top of the rad.

summeh
17-05-2006, 00:12
on another plus note... my oil temp is now hovering around 100 constant.

arj256
17-05-2006, 00:36
Thats better, just have to keep on getting rid of the airlocks by the sound of things.

Purple
17-05-2006, 00:57
on another plus note... my oil temp is now hovering around 100 constant.What oil you using? How long has it been in there. If it's quite new oil and you don't cane the engine everywhere you go, I think it should hang around 85C-95C. May also indicate that the water-cooling is not removing the heat fast enough from the oil.

guage was 1/2 the way up for about 10mins then at some point gradually went to the 3rd notch again....Check if the fan is actually activating about halfway but the water needle climbs up to 2/3 before dropping (ie: slow to react to fan cooling). This could be due air-lock/undersized radiator/weak fan/dodgy water-pump. Or simply too much heat in the oil to remove quickly.

VIPERONE
17-05-2006, 00:59
piss in the header tank

arj256
17-05-2006, 01:03
piss in the header tank

Is that how they all go discoloured?

:wink: