PDA

View Full Version : Fitting new gearbox

donsrno1
15-05-2006, 21:15
Hopefully going to get started on this job tomorrow but have one question. Is it possible to do with just one jack or will I need two?

I know I'll need one to support the engine but can the gearbox be removed without using a jack to support it. My plan was to undo all the bolts holding the gearbox on, with a jack underneath just to hold it in place and then to remove the box by hand. Will it be OK just to leave the gearbox there with all the bolts removed without a jack or will that leave the weight on the input shaft?

I don't want to have to go and buy another jack if possible, but if it's the only option then I'll just have to do that.

Any other tips for doing the job? How much do I have to lower the subframe by?

Also, when removing the battery how can I stop the alarm going off? Will I just have to wait till it dies or can I emove a fuse or anything to stop the siren?

Almost forgot, what gearbox oil would you recommend to use and how much should it cost roughly?

Thanks.

Rich
15-05-2006, 21:29
you should be able to disable the alarm seperately, the subframe doesnt has to be lowered a fair (about a foot) use ATF and not gearbox oil as it will run smoother, one jack will be fine, the bix is quite heavy but it will wiggle off, if its not new you may as well do the clutch while your tere than its done oh and good luck :lol:

donsrno1
15-05-2006, 21:40
So is it OK just to undo all the bolts holding the box on and leave it like that without a jack underneath? I'm not sure how the connections are so I'm worried that doing that would leave the weight on the input shaft, but at the same time I don't want to have to go out and buy another jack.

I'm still swithering a bit about the clutch as I'm not totally sure I'm going to keep the car, as I might sell it and buy a better example of a 16v - but I know the sensible thing is to fit one.

Rich
15-05-2006, 22:24
its ok because you are supporting the weight of the engine wit a jack under the sump, if the box is jacked you wont be able to slide it out, tbh i'd change the clutch, what if you keep it and the clutch goes in 6 months? you then have to undo it all again

donsrno1
15-05-2006, 23:19
its ok because you are supporting the weight of the engine wit a jack under the sump, if the box is jacked you wont be able to slide it out, tbh i'd change the clutch, what if you keep it and the clutch goes in 6 months? you then have to undo it all again

Thanks mate. Yeah, I think I'll probably end up changing the clutch anyway TBH. For ATF are there different grades etc and how much is it likely to cost for say 5 litres? Am I right in thinking it's not as thick as normal box oil?

donsrno1
16-05-2006, 23:12
Made a start on this today and got a couple of things done. Just got a couple of questions:

When dropping the subframe should I just remove the bolts totally and drop it as far as it will go?

What is the pipe that runs just below the end of the gearbox? IIRC it's a PAS pipe but it looks as though it will be a bugger with where it is.

Lunner
17-05-2006, 12:40
I dropped the whole subfame and it was a bitch getting it back up again on my own, next time i'll only drop one side and just loosen bolts on other side.

Its a PAS pipe, if you undo all teh nuts holding it on, and drop the sbframe it shouldn't be in teh way too much, is a bit of a pain tho

donsrno1
17-05-2006, 19:09
Thanks bud. I got a bit more done today, but getting more and more annoyed at taking half an hour to get some of the rusty old bolts off, lol. I also managed to split the gaiter on the track rod end ball joint and I think I should also replace the lower ball joint, so ££ are piling up.