PDA

View Full Version : clutch snapped shit day

jez
15-05-2006, 17:48
Well its been a shit day 2day clutch snapped on the way to work got a garage to fit me a new one when i picked the williams up it was fine but after about 5 minutes of driving it would really struggle to go into 1st and 2nd gear almost to the point where it wouldnt go in at all as thow im not pressing the clutch down. So i parked up turned the car off and started her up again and the porblem had gone could engage every gear smoothly. Just tried again now drove three miles then had to engage reverse and it once again struggled to go into 1st and 2nd

any1 know what the **** is wrong lol

couple of facts:-

clutch cost £16 retail seems pretty cheap to me but he assured me it was the right one

3rd 4th and 5th i have no problems with

please help :)

Lunner
15-05-2006, 19:03
It would be a clutch cable, thats the right price

Could be the rachet mechanism, odd that one

Check they've routed it properly over the top of the pedal, dunno about the turning off and then working thing, very odd

jez
15-05-2006, 22:26
went out in it tonight, all is fine but cant seem to get reverse unless i try hard crunches like mad then once thats happend first and second **** up again

ben_j
15-05-2006, 22:35
they didnt use a genuine renault cable. hell even renault dont always give u the right cable half the time for engine

jez
15-05-2006, 22:36
would that make any diffrence?

just read this post http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10744&highlight=clutch

seems strangley familiar lol

ian711
16-05-2006, 12:50
i reckon its the ractchet mechanism on the pedal, i'd make sure cltuch cable is fitted properley, then if problem persists, change the pedal buddy.

Lunner
16-05-2006, 13:19
What you are decribing is EXACTLY what was wrong with my mates, and he hadn't routed the cable properly over hte top of the rachet mechanism

ian711
16-05-2006, 13:39
i think lunner is correct..

i had a similar problem with it working and and then playing up, and then working again, altho that was because some of the teeth on the ratchet mechanism were worn..

if it was working fine before ya had the cable done, do as lunner says.

smokey
16-05-2006, 14:15
I had a similar problem a cpl of weeks ago now and I hadnt routed it over the pedal properly, you need to go through a plastic hoop righ at the rear of the mechanism.

It still struggles some times but thats because the cable is too long by about 15/20mm :twisted:

On the plus side......my clutch pedal is at least twice a easy to push down now :D :lol:

Lunner
16-05-2006, 14:17
longer clutch arm???

Just space the end of the cable off the clutch arm 12mm or so

smokey
16-05-2006, 14:44
longer clutch arm???

Just space the end of the cable off the clutch arm 12mm or so

Yeah thats next mate....soft clutch conversion once its back from its respray and had its wide track and Avo/H&R coilovers fitted

ben_j
16-05-2006, 18:00
smokey is that cus u didnt use the propper renault cable its longer?

Lunner
16-05-2006, 18:09
Dont' know what this shit is about proper renualt cables, i've used a renault one ONCE and i've been through atleats 4/5, renault one lasted no longer than any other one, infact the Halfords cable i got lastest the longest

smokey
16-05-2006, 20:46
smokey is that cus u didnt use the propper renault cable its longer?

Nope proper renault part mate

ben_j
16-05-2006, 21:07
propper renault part for your car tho? renault are morons, i've had to take clutch and accelerator cables back cus they were wrong when they supplied em

Allan
16-05-2006, 22:36
When i changed summys cable it has similar problems, and a few other poeple have said the same just added some spaces and it worked no problems

smokey
16-05-2006, 23:38
propper renault part for your car tho? renault are morons, i've had to take clutch and accelerator cables back cus they were wrong when they supplied em

I ended up getting the part number off of Dialogy's mate, so was the right part.

As Allan said, its relatively common.

VIPERONE
17-05-2006, 00:13
I pay £7 for a clutch cable... hence i carry a spare lol

jez
17-05-2006, 09:54
well the mechanic blatantly didnt have a clue then as he fixed it by taking a green thing out of the pedal lol, the travel on the pedal is now ****ing real far up i cant afford to fork out another load of labour costs to get it fixed thow lol

Lunner
17-05-2006, 12:41
The onyl green thing si teh bearing between the shaft and the pedal housing lol.

They fitted it, they ****ed it up, get them to sort it free

If you're at FCS get a new pedal from renault for £23 and i'll fit it for £30 at FCS

Crossers
17-05-2006, 12:42
I think i'm having the same trouble...

The box has been changed from jb3 back to the proper jb5. Spent ages ajusting the linkage, but just could't get R 1+2 right...3,4,5 are fine.

The tit who fitted the jb3 did a horrendous job of that so probably ****ed up fitting the cable n'all. So its the ratchet on the pedal, where is that...at the top i take it?!

Paul

GTI-Russ
17-05-2006, 13:31
My cable snapped on sunday, had it fixed yester day for £60 :shock: and im getting the same probs. It drove fine at first and then does'nt want to engage 1st or 2nd orr revese. have to propper pump the clutch to get them in. and cluth is heavier!

On the plus side my car seems to be pulling harder for some reason :D

jez
17-05-2006, 18:36
im not going to fcs unfortunatly really need this doing thow where u based lunner any1 near HULL who can do it for some of my hard earned?