PDA

View Full Version : Torsion bars

GTI-Russ
13-05-2006, 11:51
Had a look at the guide on here and have decided to have a crack at it myself as it looks pritty straight forward. Just wanted to know how other people found doing the job or any probs you encountered as ive had alotta people telling me its a right bastard of a job :?

Also will it have any effect on handeling?

Cheers

Lunner
13-05-2006, 16:30
Piss easy, people only say its a bastard of a job cus they dont' unserstand how to do it.

First time i did it with almost no mechanical knoledge it took 45 mins, can do it in 20 mins now.

Will notice an improvement if you lower the front to match

GTI-Russ
13-05-2006, 17:56
Nice one mate. I already have the front lowered so need to get the arse down to match. Will have a crack at it tomoorw. shall report back with pics :D

Mattie
14-05-2006, 19:12
easy if you know what your doin id say

GTI-Russ
15-05-2006, 13:55
oh well, tryed to do it. Was unscrewing the torsion bar then the screw i was using sheared off :shock: ended up calling it a day after that and went for a bit of a blast to make sure everything was in order and then my clutch cable snapped on me... Bollox :(

northy
15-05-2006, 14:02
:(

i gave up trying to do mine aswell...siezed in and im doubtfull it will ever come out.

Lunner
15-05-2006, 19:06
Soak it in plus gas each day for a few days amd keep doing that and trying it every few days

northy
16-05-2006, 08:03
tried that for weeks when i wasnt moving the car mate - its well stuck.

even bought a slide hammer.

Lunner
16-05-2006, 12:07
time for another torsion bar....only 4 bolts

should have one going next week if you want

Bayliss
19-05-2006, 05:06
i'll have a look at it for ya northy at french car show to see how bad its seized in and i may be able to do it one weekend for ya if u still want it lowering/raising

19-05-2006, 09:12
Torsion bar removal is easy aslong as its not siezed.

When i did mine it came out within 30mins, refitting can be a bit annoying as the splines for some reason just sometimes dont go in and other times go in withoiut and problems.

I recently help a mate do his and it took us 5 hours to remove it due to the ****er being siezed. Just have to keep tightening the bolt. We also had some issues with the 10mm bolt snapping inside the torsion bar.

Also depending on what you car you have will make a difference on which way you lower it. I.e. open or close.

GTI-Russ
19-05-2006, 13:13
bloody hell 5hrs :shock:

will have to arm myself with a load of bolys and a drill so when then snap i'll be ready 8) Am determined not to take it to a garage to get it done as its such a piss job. dam you seized torsion bar!

Clio_GTT
19-05-2006, 14:09
If they're seized get a suitably sized piece of metal and shock them, give them a good banging with a big hammer, get em moving, soak the inner and outter splines in WD40 and get heat on them