PDA

View Full Version : Pic Of Rear Of Engine - Oil Leak

mikeymikewakey
11-05-2006, 17:58
Hi Guys...

Has anyone got a picture or preferrably a diagram, possibly from the haynes book of the back of a williams engine??

Theres an oil leak near the back of the engine, below the head and what im positive is the below the lip that joins the head to the bottom end and below the exhaust manifold.
Ive been under the car myself and oil is dropping onto the exhaust downpipe and onto the starter motor and theres oil on the inside of the heat shield that covers the starter motor.
Ive got my suspisions that its the oil pressure sensor that may have cracked but would just like this confirming. I can get my hand so far up but I cant see at all where it is coming from and would preferrably like to try and establish where its coming from myself.

Thanks Alot Guys

Mike

Coops
11-05-2006, 18:00
oil pressure sensor is on the other side of the engine iirc right at the top of the block, if its dripping onto the starter motor then its above that which points to rocker cover of shock horror head gaskets, well sounds like that anyway!

mikeymikewakey
11-05-2006, 18:08
oil pressure sensor is on the other side of the engine iirc right at the top of the block, if its dripping onto the starter motor then its above that which points to rocker cover of shock horror head gaskets, well sounds like that anyway!

Its definetly not the rocker cover or the hear gasket.

There is absolutely no oil leaking from the top of the engine whatsoever or anywhere near the head.

Hope this will narrow it down a bit.

Mike

dan-hipgrave
11-05-2006, 20:06
Are these any help mate?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/clio%20rebuild/Engine4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/dan-hipgrave/clio%20rebuild/Image269.jpg

VIPERONE
12-05-2006, 06:39
Its probably a split driveshaft gator flinging CV grease up??

Clio_GTT
12-05-2006, 11:53
core plug ?

Lunner
12-05-2006, 12:03
haven't we had this before, its water behind core plugs, not oil

mikeymikewakey
12-05-2006, 18:23
Well this water is very thick and brown then lol...

The leak is beneath the core plugs I think however.

Thanks for thew pics dan, still dunno though really.

Mike

midge
13-05-2006, 12:08
i had this leak on my car, it seems like its coming from the back off the engine and the oil collects on the starter motor and covers everything around it.

on my car it was coming from the front, on the front right off the head theres a blanking plate, this was leaking on mine and the oil was running along the pipe at the right edge off the head, this was carrying the oil to the back off the engine and dropping it over the starter and everything else.

there was a bit off something underneath the plate that was stopping it clamping down properly on mine, check yours is done up properly (DONT over tighten it) de grease everything that has oil onit go for a longish drive then see if you can see fresh oil anywhere.

mikeymikewakey
13-05-2006, 13:45
I checked that blanking plate, its got 3 bolts in it hasnt it?
On the same side of the engine to the thermostat housing?

Ive checked this and theres nothing there.

Im going to my mechanic on tuesday who maybe able to identify the problem.

Mike

midge
13-05-2006, 13:49
yes thats the plate, mine didnt appear to be coming from that plate, run your hand underneath the coolant pipe that goes under the ridge of the head and goes towards the back of the engine, if thats got oil on it i can almost garuntee its coming from the plate

mikeymikewakey
13-05-2006, 14:41
Theres no oil on it matey.

Whats even weirder is that ive just checked my oil level and its more or less on the top mark still and the oil on the stick is really lightly coloured, whereas the oil thats leaked is dark. Its possibly thats its burnt when falling on the sump or the exhaust downpipe.
Im puzzled as to where its coming from lol

Mike

midge
13-05-2006, 15:14
you may have over filled the oil level, go to a motor factors and by some gunk, its a degreaser, cover everything thats oil onit with the gunk then wash it off so its all clean and dry, take the car for a drive park up and see if theres more oil, if there isnt then it probably isnt leaking, if there is then follow it to the source.