PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Swervin_Mervin
10-05-2006, 13:30
I've just had a quote in the post for the repairs to the car.

If I source the tailgate and light (£40) it will still cost £1300. If not it's nearer £1800. That's well in to write off potential territory.

The police still haven't been for the CCTV tape and I still haven't been able to get hold of the copper dealing with it. Do I:

1: Put the claim in, get the engineer out and hope for the best. Will leave a claim against my name if they don't find out the 3rd party and will also potentially write the car off.

2: Wait for the police to get the tape which could be weeks yet. Then take it from there. Even if they find the 3rd party there could still be a write off issue, plus the fact I wasn't in a marked bay might affect matters.

3: Leave it. Get myself a used tailgate and light for £40 off Mat Brown. Maybe have a go at straightening the 1/4 panel out roughly and spraying it with a can. Then, in a couple of months when I've got some cash, find a cheap but decent valver shell that I can transfer all the good/new bits over to and get some of the other jobs sorted whilst everything's out.

I'm leaning towards 3 because I can't be arsed with it all, and it's not affecting the driveability of the car.

J o n
10-05-2006, 13:57
tough one mate... personally I'd call it a day and just get your money back and if your still keen get another valver or a Willy.

northy
10-05-2006, 14:00
upto you mate - if your claiming do it as the insurance company says.

if your not - get it fixed yourself as time and money allows - just make sure your at fcs ! :D

Swervin_Mervin
10-05-2006, 14:08
I would claim but what worries me is if the 3rd party isn't found or I don't get the full 100% no fault. That means claim against my name. Given I already have 2 no fault claims won't this bugger up my premiums?

Mebbe play it by ear. Wait for police to get a move on then see what the ins. co say if there is a reg no. If the claim against me wasn't likely to hurt too much I'd just feck it off and go that route. Apparently it would be a cat D write off anyway and so I'd be able to buy it back from the insurer.

Anyone else done this before? I thought some had trouble with the buy back option?

Anders
10-05-2006, 14:29
Is there a sign in hotel stating owners cars are left at own risk??

I know there usually is, but some go missing and never replaced. Can you not take the claim to the hotel..or officially press charges so it speeds things up?

I wouldn't touch your car until you know for sure what is happening with finding the bastards!! Can't beleive the police are so slow..what do you pay taxes for??

Line up all your options then sit and wait...hopefully not for too long.

Swervin_Mervin
11-05-2006, 10:11
The plan is to leave it for now. Wait for the police. Then if the tape turns nothing up I'll just leave it and do a rough repair. If it looks like I have a chance I'll claim. If it gets written off I should be able to buy it back.

I'm still leaning towards the idea of a re-shell anyway since the scuttle has a huge rust hole in and both rear wings are looking like they're starting to go again. Front end isn't straight either.

Zollo
12-05-2006, 17:56
Put an F7R in it and keep it as a track. Then buy a new car, like you were gonna do.

Running a second car can be a lot cheaper than you'd think.

Swervin_Mervin
16-05-2006, 10:38
TBH Matt, I don't want an F7R. I actually prefer the F7P, and might be tempted to mildly mod it should I get another car The whole point of the F7R for me is the torque that helps pull you out of B-road bends at any revs and that's less of an issue on track. Plus it's the leftfield option.

I'm actually driving the VTS this week and that's a miles better 2L lump than the F7R. Might get flamed for that but feck it. Absolutely love it and have thought about having a stripped one instead of the valver.

:twisted:

Zollo
16-05-2006, 16:46
Ok then - Buy the rest of the bits from Martin's hybrid, fit em to the Jinx and put it on the track. Then buy another VTS for a road car :P

Swervin_Mervin
16-05-2006, 16:52
If and when funds allow the Jinx will be chucked at a bodyshop and told to sort it all out. It's fine mechanically now, just looks shit. :P