PDA

View Full Version : alternator help

wavy
10-05-2006, 13:10
i started my car today and it sounded real bad restarted it and it was ok
but now when im driving im getting real bad noises at random times then it stops
to me it sounds like bearings in the alternator ?
is the alternator connected to the steering pump because just as i pulled in at home it made wierd noises on steering aswell its never done that before
is there a way i can deffinatly tell its alternator ?

what alternator can i use
is it only a williams part or can i use 1 off another car
how much are they new
has anyone got 1 secondhand ?

how hard is it to replace

bloody never stops does it :(
thanks
dave

wavy
10-05-2006, 13:51
does anyone know the part code for a new alternator
afaik 1.8 16v dosn't fit (only 50amp)so its got to be williams(90amp) is this correct ?

northy
10-05-2006, 13:57
u need a williams one mate - thats all i can help u with.

Anders
10-05-2006, 14:24
If its just the bearing then the only wat to tell is to whip it out and play with the pulley (just like a wheel bearing).

The PAS pump is on the same belt as the alternator so this could be the reason why both made a noise on turning into your drive, as you load the sterring pump up it may effect the belt position then have an impact on the alternator bearing...

Have you tried running it with bonnet open and listen for the sound, get a friend to turn lock to lock and have a butchers.

wavy
10-05-2006, 16:01
with the bonnet open it sounds awfull
it sort of sounds like the pully wheel next to alternator ? but i cant tell for sure
right now its screeching :(
iv gotta go drive it soon getting my brake bleep nipples retapped so i hope it lasts the journey

im not possative its the alternator now that sucks :( atleast i knew what to fix now im stumped

btw
from renault £110.45+20 surcharge(returned) williams alternator 7701499444
GSF £95+35 surcharge list both 1.8 & 2.0L as having the same part ??????

1.8 alternator is differnt part No from renault £113+20 :shock: and its dearer

wavy
10-05-2006, 17:17
when it makes the noise (its not constant its random) it sounds like
pully D(on pic) my plan is to take off belt tomorrow (gotta find a new 1 yet) see what moves
im hoping for alternator :)

dan-hipgrave
10-05-2006, 17:21
The valver and williams alternators are different then!!!???

DAMN GSF!! Thats the second part they've sold me thats not going to work with my williams engine! Ive got it fitted ok though, just not run the engine yet.....

wavy
10-05-2006, 17:28
from what other ppl have said it sounds like it will work
but acording to renault there differnt but he didnt know why
a bloke who refurbs them said the williams ecu needs more amps ? willy= 90 amp valver=50
the guy at GSF said theres were 70 amp

so if it is my alternator ill get it from renault for the sake of £15 i know its deffo right but i wont have to do drive there
both companys want ya old 1 cheeky gits

dan-hipgrave
10-05-2006, 17:31
Right i get you mate, though it sounds like the guy at GSF was talking crap - a 90amp ECU!! lol

I'll check the rating on my alternator from GSF tonight..

wavy
11-05-2006, 00:37
arghh looks like it could be my power steering pump
it stopped working and dropped all the fluid :(

VIPERONE
11-05-2006, 07:27
if 90amps went to your ecu it would melt. imrunning a valver alternatorwth noproblems.