PDA

View Full Version : Clio Williams help!

phew!
10-05-2006, 10:42
Hi Guys

Just to say, what an informative community you have here on this forum.

My problem started the other day when I purchased a Clio 1 on ebay. On close inspection all seemed fine and the owner had stacks of paperwork including a top end engine rebuild, including cambelt, at approximately 10k miles ago. This guy had only owned the car for a year and had covered barely 1500 miles during his ownership. Including the current owner, the car had had 3 previous owners and was generally in fine fettle.

I guess alarm bells should have started to ring when the guy attributed the low oil pressure reading as a case of the need for an oil/filter change. This seemed plausible to me given that it had last been serviced in 2004, 6k miles ago. The oil pressure readings were between 2 & 3 on cold start, zero at idle when the oil was hot, but it never exceeded 3 on full chat. The car was not burning oil and there were no plumes of smoke from the exhaust.

On my way back to London the car drove find, but started to develop a noticeable knock from the engine beyond the 3000 rev mark. I immediately took the car to my local mechanic only to hear the dreaded words - " you're gonna need a new engine mate" followed by - "sell it before it gets worse"

The help I need from you guys is what would be the most cost effective remedy. As the head was skimmed etc and the cambelt changed 10k miles ago, would it be better to rebuild the crankshaft/pistons/big ends etc or should I just try to source a new engine and scrap this one.

Other than the engine, whcih does not affect the performance of the car or burn oil, the car is in really good shape and cost me £1800.

Thank you in anticipation of your urgent help

Phew!

Gav
10-05-2006, 10:52
hey dude
2-3 on cold start, every clio i know sits at 3 so that isnt to bad, and most clios i know sit at 0.2bar on idle

my engine was rebuilt in Jan this yr by my dads company and i have the almost same idle so i know the engine is in brilliant nick so ur idle isnt a huge problem.

TBH mate i wouldnt trust a mechanics 1st words,

""ur engine is fooked mate, bring it to me and i will fix it and sting u 2k for it or watever.""

If ur close to me bring it to my dads garage, he will give u a proper verdict that u can trust and go from there, but dont start looking for a new engine yet.

Willy-Jr

Purple
10-05-2006, 11:01
On my way back to London the car drove find, but started to develop a noticeable knock from the engine beyond the 3000 rev mark. I immediately took the car to my local mechanic only to hear the dreaded words - " you're gonna need a new engine mate" followed by - "sell it before it gets worse"
Can you upload an MP3 of it?

In any case, the old oil has been in there for heck of a long time, so no telling what gunk could be in there. Do an oil change, run up the engine for a few days and then change the oil again. Also pour some fuel cleaner in the fuel tank between the oil changes. See if the knocking improves. If it's still there, then it may be a more permanent mechnical fault.

phew!
10-05-2006, 11:27
Thanks for your replies.

I had a second opinion from an independent garage and they advised that I dont waste any money trying to diagnose the problem as it was obvious that Crankshaft bearings and big ends had gone. Given that the mileage on the car is 121k and these cars tend to live hard lives, it doesn't seem unusual. I guess i've just been unfortunate :(

Any suggestions for remedial action and estimates would be appreciated.

Anders
10-05-2006, 12:03
I guess it depends on your available funds mate, and your ultimate goal for the car.

You can refurb the low end no problem and simply replace old for new. But you could use this as the perfect excuse to give the engine a complete overhaul. Whip it out, and give it a re-build...or even balabnce it all up and get some work done for extra gee gees.

Personally I would replace old for new, and get the crank skimmed and re-shell it, with new bearings and seals as its easy to do. Its based on the 1.9 diesel set up so its hardy enough.

It comes down to the age old question of how much money you got and how much work you can do yourself.

Good luck whichever route you take....

phew!
10-05-2006, 12:27
I guess it depends on your available funds mate, and your ultimate goal for the car.

You can refurb the low end no problem and simply replace old for new. But you could use this as the perfect excuse to give the engine a complete overhaul. Whip it out, and give it a re-build...or even balabnce it all up and get some work done for extra gee gees.

Personally I would replace old for new, and get the crank skimmed and re-shell it, with new bearings and seals as its easy to do. Its based on the 1.9 diesel set up so its hardy enough.

It comes down to the age old question of how much money you got and how much work you can do yourself.

Thanks for that, Anders

I've just been quoted 26 hours labour to rebuild the engine etc etc... :shock:

Good luck whichever route you take....

phew!
10-05-2006, 12:29
It gets worse...

I've just been quoted 26 hours labour to rebuild the engine :shock:

MatBrown
10-05-2006, 12:39
If it's just a 1.8 you can pick good engines up for £200.
I have a couple.

Mat.

Purple
10-05-2006, 12:42
Don't worry, couple of grease monkeys here should be able to do it for less. Just give them a bit of time to look into this thread. Also put up your One's plaque number, someone here may know the history. That might help.

Laine_16v
10-05-2006, 12:44
If it's just a 1.8 you can pick good engines up for £200.
I have a couple.

Mat.

Im gueesing its a clio williams, from the "Clio Williams help" title :D

MatBrown
11-05-2006, 02:34
:oops:

Mat.

fasterthanjesus
11-05-2006, 08:39
theres an f7r engine on ebay.

Martin
11-05-2006, 10:31
Megane btm end..sorted

Smokey McPot
12-05-2006, 19:40
you cant put a megane bottom end on a proper williams!! thats against the law or something....maybe on a pretend one....but not a real one.

phew!
17-05-2006, 14:22
Thanks for all your replies, guys. I managed to get my money back so can count myself lucky. Keep your eyes peeled for 0293 if/when it comes up for sale again.

I will definitely be buying a Williams 1, but will make sure I dont get caught out again.

Thanks and good luck :-#

Lunner
17-05-2006, 14:31
How much did you pay and how much will teh bloke sell it for

****ing hell if i had room i'd have it on teh cheap, whip the engine out, overhaul it and sell it on a mhassive profit

phew!
17-05-2006, 14:37
How much did you pay and how much will teh bloke sell it for

f***king hell if i had room i'd have it on teh cheap, whip the engine out, overhaul it and sell it on a mhassive profit

He is having the car looked at for confirmation of fault/s. He was a really nice guy and said he would give me first refusal if he decides to sell as is. I paid the equivalent of £2500 by a combination of px & cash. In the auction it managed £1800, so your guess is as good as mine as to how much he will sell it with a knackered engine,

Lunner
17-05-2006, 15:48
Well looking at £1k+ for a garage to rebuild an engine, i'm paying over £700 in parts along for my complete engine rebuild, btu that is literally everything, if getting it done at a garage etc add easily £1k labout onto that

Martin
17-05-2006, 17:12
you cant put a megane bottom end on a proper williams!! thats against the law or something....maybe on a pretend one....but not a real one.

and why not?