PDA

View Full Version : white smoke out of the exhaust

midge
09-05-2006, 12:27
only when booting it and on gear changes, whats this? bad?

Rott
09-05-2006, 13:12
Headgasket? Have you opened up the oilfiller cap to look? If it looks like dirty JIZ it's facked!!!

midge
09-05-2006, 13:23
yer it looks fine, have been losing a bit of oil, and the coolant has gone down a bit tho, mmmmm, will talk to the guy who done it last i think

rt_blackpool
09-05-2006, 13:26
that would deff suggest a HG, dont leave it and dont tear the arse out of it in that state, i did and it blew on me. :(

does it sometimes struggle to start when its been left a while? (overnight)

Rott
09-05-2006, 13:33
Like RT says, don't rag it about, if your not sure get it looked at before you turn a perfectly salvagable block into a new one, not worth the hassle, i was under the same illusion with my old cosworth, it kept startin so i kept driving, Expensive bubble to burst let me tell ya!!!!

midge
09-05-2006, 14:20
ok, ive just gone out, checked the plugs and thier all normal, the oil looks fresh, the coolant level has dropped 1-2cm since the engine change about 5 weeks ago, the oil level has dropped about 1/4 - 1/2 since i changed it 2 weeks ago, the water doesnt have oil init and the oil doesnt have water in, i put a board up against the exhaust and let the car run for ages giving it some revs every now and then and there was no water on the board except when it first started.

the cars never hard to start
its using silkolene 5w/30
the car runs ok and goes good

also there was no smoke except when it first started, a couple of people have told me when im giving it a handfull they see a bit off white smoke on gear changes

rt_blackpool
09-05-2006, 14:28
if there's only smoke when starting it could be water just collecting in the exhaust pipes, a few people mentioned that to me recently on here.

midge
09-05-2006, 14:33
oh dear, there is smoke, ill upload a video once i work out how. im now sure the hg has gone, its only 5 weeks old!!

rt_blackpool
09-05-2006, 14:35
photobucket or putfile.

thoes 2 are the easiest sites to get vids up onto

midge
09-05-2006, 14:43
http://media.putfile.com/cliohggone

ok so its not the best video but you can see the smoke, and the car was warmed up when i filmed this, i could do a better video but this gives everyone the idea.
im pretty pissed off tbh ive had so many problems with the car since having the engine changed (none of which engine related except this) i had something lined up for the car but now im gonna have to spend a load or take a load of time sorting this out.

BRUN
09-05-2006, 14:47
if you have only just had it done cant you take it back and get them to do it again, it shouldnt go after only 5 weeks

midge
09-05-2006, 16:42
if the stem seals were ****ed it would do the same thing wouldnt it?

Lunner
09-05-2006, 16:50
if the head wasn't skimmed or ground when the HG was changed tehre is a good chance it is that that has gone again, for teh sake of £30 for a skim, i9ts an expensive mistake.

When an engine first runs etc it will use collant etc up as the gaskets all seal themselves, as williams_jr found out when he ran outa coolant.

Valve stem oil seals seal against oil, is it blue or white smoke, white means water, blue means oil, if its oil its either valver stem oil seals or piston rings, water headgasket most probabily.

midge
09-05-2006, 17:06
ill talk to the guy who did the engine conversion, i dont think the head was skimmed but the head was a good one, the smoke looks white but its the oil level thats going down a substancial amount and not the water, is there a way of seeing if its the stem seals or gasket without taking the head off?

stew
09-05-2006, 17:32
exhaust vid looks fine to me!

:?

If its using coolant and oil then its more than likely HG.

Is there oil particles in the water?

Is there mayo in the oil cap?

midge
09-05-2006, 18:09
no there isnt, both oil and water clean, its using alot of oil though and there is smoke so it must be burning it, just need to find out if its through the stem seals or head gasket. ****ing annoyed with it tbh, nothing but problem after problem.

McPikie
10-05-2006, 08:50
Mine does this when giving it billy big beans and letting it throttle down.

I think it's a breather issue or rings.