PDA

View Full Version : Valver pissing orange stuff out the exhaust

rt_blackpool
07-05-2006, 15:12
cleaned and WD40'd the ISCV after some idle problems and everything seemed ok. so i reved it up to about 3.5k for a second and let it come back down, i then reved it up to about 5.5k for a sec and let it come back down again and switched it off.

i then went round the back and discovered a patch of brownish wet on the floor directly behind the exhaust. i had a quick sniff to tell wether it was water or petrol and it smelt like oily water.

i came out to the car this morning and discovered this:-
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/16v_rt/questions/closeup.jpg

the water has turned orange over night, so it obv has some rust in it, but the question is, where is this rusty water coming from and should i be worried?

dannyb1986
07-05-2006, 17:09
i would be worried mate, it could be a head gasket problem, water in one of the cylinders, run it for a few minute, then take the plugs out and look at the plugs, then also try and shine a torch down the cylinders and see if you could see anything untoward!

dannyb1986
07-05-2006, 17:09
i would be worried mate, it could be a head gasket problem, water in one of the cylinders, run it for a few minute, then take the plugs out and look at the plugs, then also try and shine a torch down the cylinders and see if you could see anything untoward! it could just be a bit of steam if you have run it really it from cold, but i think a head gasket is the favourite

rt_blackpool
07-05-2006, 19:23
would a compression tester tell me wether the head is buggered or not?

if so would this fit? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10151&productId=199553&categoryId=31477

if not, what would?

MAXIBOY
07-05-2006, 19:46
most cars produce water during combustion. prob no need to worry as its picking up rust of the exhaust. unless you have a full stainless system

dannyb1986
07-05-2006, 19:48
you need to do a die test, a compression would tell you if the gasket had gone between two cylinders, it would be low on 2 cylinders that are next to each other, e.g. number 3 & 4, but if its a water jaket thats gone on the head it might not tell you, your best having a die test done, thats the way i would go, or look in your cylinders, oil cap, etc, or if its losing water quickly, and its not leaking, then id say the head!

rt_blackpool
07-05-2006, 21:25
most cars produce water during combustion. prob no need to worry as its picking up rust of the exhaust. unless you have a full stainless system

yeah someone else said that, and afaik its had a new centre section (cat to back box) but the cat looks pretty shagged, so maybe its there or the back box? im sure its not SS they've used (its like a dull gray/silver thats on there)

you need to do a die test, a compression would tell you if the gasket had gone between two cylinders, it would be low on 2 cylinders that are next to each other, e.g. number 3 & 4, but if its a water jaket thats gone on the head it might not tell you, your best having a die test done, thats the way i would go, or look in your cylinders, oil cap, etc, or if its losing water quickly, and its not leaking, then id say the head!

is it poss to do a die test at home, or is it something only a garauge can do? what actually happens when the test is done?

it doesnt lose water or leak for that mater, and the oil around the oil cap isnt mayo-ie. i've also had the rocker cover off recently to put a new rocker gasket on and the oil seemed fine then so maybe it is as above with the exhaust?

Lunner
08-05-2006, 09:52
almost defo teh exhaust i'd say, jjust run it and see what happens

Do you do lots of short jorneys never letting ti get fully up tyo temp?

Go for a long drive atleats 30 miles or so and just keep your eye on temps etc and i'm sure it will be fine, if it was me i wouldn't worry lol

rt_blackpool
08-05-2006, 10:46
to be honest, i havnt had it off the drive in about a month, so god knows what has built up.

northy
08-05-2006, 10:50
just moisture in the exhaust.

nothing to worry about

clowo16v
08-05-2006, 11:17
If you've washed the car recently and rinsed with a hosepipe it might have filled the exhaust with water?

I did this ages ago I shit myself there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust for about 30 miles lol.

Matt

Lunner
08-05-2006, 11:25
if you had said the car had been stood for a month....its just water in teh exhaust then

dannyb1986
08-05-2006, 18:19
like lunner said, if its been stood then dont worry too much, i thought it was been used! and u could do a die test at home if you had the kit!

summeh
09-05-2006, 09:29
a big exhaust will collect a lot of moisture over night, hence why when u first start the car in the morning its always blowing steam out... as the others said, where you've had it standing for a while the water has prolly gone rusty hence the rusty water patch, not to good for your exhaust by the way :)

nothing to worry about though.

rt_blackpool
09-05-2006, 11:31
nice one guys, thanks for all the replies :)