PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary belt removal and fitment information needed.

theweekendhaslanded
05-05-2006, 12:27
I have had a new Aux belt for ages now and still not got round to fitting it, its getting very very squeeky so its time to get stuck in.

I have the Haynes manual to check out but was hoping you guys could give me a few tips.........

Does the bonnet have to be removed? jack up and remove wheel? etc

Would be grateful for some advice.

Cheers
Alan

summeh
05-05-2006, 15:24
This is how I did mine:

- Jack the car up, place on axle stands

- remove drivers side headlight

- place a jack with wood on under the sump and raise it to meet the sump, take a lil bit of weight

- undo the engine mount retaining nut off the top

- jack the engine up as much as you can, should go a few inches, until the downpipe hits the rack

- you should be able to access the aux belt tensioner through where the headlight sat. You need a 7mm allan key, get the longest one u can as most of the time this is ceased, be careful not to round it either, else u in trouble, lol.

- using the 7mm allan key undo the tensioner.

- once loosend use a 22mm spanner on the tensioner nut and rotate clockwise, this will slacken the wheel (pulls it rearward iirc).

some clios came with a bottom lower belt cover that covers up the crank pulley AND the aux crankshaft pulley.

later ones came with a lower belt cover that just covers up the timing belt, and leaves the aux crankshaft pulley exposed.

If you have the type that covers the aux crankshaft pulley, you will need to do the following:

- removing the drivers side wheel may make this easier.

- remove the arch liner from the drivers side that sits behind the drop link (chassis to subframe/wishbone joint).

- undo the two torx bolts that hold the lower belt cover on, remove the cover.

- whip the old belt out through the top.

- put the new belt on.

- using the 22mm spanner turn the tensioner nut anti clockwise and this will tension the belt, you want to be able to depress the belt 2 or 3mm easily with your finger. doesn't have to be stupidly tight, you'll hear if it slips.

- holding the spanner in place now get the allan key and tighten the middle nut. don't overtighten it either, hand tight should be fine. you should get a feel for it.

- refit headlight

- lower engine in to place and put the retaining nut back on the mount top.

MatBrown
05-05-2006, 15:28
Instead of jacking up the engine and removing mount you can just use a 10mm on the bracket thats in the way and bend it upwards.

Mat.

summeh
05-05-2006, 15:31
ah, i got rid of that on mine, but still found it easier to jack the engine up.

theweekendhaslanded
05-05-2006, 16:28
Excellent!! cheers for that. your a star. I will be getting on with it tomorrow.

What sort of time scale are you talking??

summeh
05-05-2006, 16:51
give yourself a morning if its your first time. once you've done it once before u can do it within an hour easily. but first time, don't know what youre doing, double checking everything twice, ceased bolts, etc, all adds up. so give yourself 3 or 4 hours.