PDA

View Full Version : Which Coilovers?

MattyH16valver
04-05-2006, 19:43
After some coilovers for a valver with adjustable dampening...which ones do people recommend? AVO, H&R, KW, FK? cos I ain't got a scooby doo! :lol:

matty
04-05-2006, 20:18
Have FK's on my Valver although they are non adjustable damping (Highsport) rather than the adjustable Konigsport. Really depends if you feel you will ever adjust them and pay the premium for that.

Some brands aren't TUV tested which means they aren't developed for the car properly. This means you end up getting wrong spring rates and all sorts.

H&R I believe are slightly better than the FK's but they don't come with rears. FK kits come complete front and rear. And if fitted by an approved FK stockist they come with a lifetime guarantee.

All depends on your budget and what you want out of them......

Lunner
04-05-2006, 20:24
H&R's aren't dampening adjustable, would strongly recomend adjustables ones cus you can set them up to your driving style then

BRUN
04-05-2006, 20:47
personally, id get set ones, cos unless you really know what your doing or fancy fiddling with them loads to set them up, then you can easily make a balls of it

Lunner
04-05-2006, 20:52
Take it you ahve never had adjustables then brun

Basica rule is set them really soft and increase them by 3 notches or so till it feels shit,a nd the back off a couple and then play around taking 1 or 2 off as and when

MAXIBOY
04-05-2006, 20:52
leda,s if you can afford them £660.00 from demon tweeks

Lunner
04-05-2006, 20:53
Thought ledas had gone downhill now

MAXIBOY
04-05-2006, 21:03
no think they have lost a designer but the quality is outstanding and they will service them to

Lunner
04-05-2006, 21:15
I know Avo will service them for £35 each apparently, need to get mine done

MAXIBOY
04-05-2006, 21:24
being able to have them rebuilt saves a fortune in the long run if you intend to keep the car.

Lunner
04-05-2006, 21:29
Agreed :D

BRUN
04-05-2006, 23:56
Take it you ahve never had adjustables then brun

Basica rule is set them really soft and increase them by 3 notches or so till it feels s**t,a nd the back off a couple and then play around taking 1 or 2 off as and when

i have had them and i could never find the time to keep fiddling with them

POWARTEK
05-05-2006, 01:40
KW or H&R

8)

dannyt
05-05-2006, 07:02
Matty, how much were the FKs and where abouts did u have them fitted?

Are they any good?

matty
05-05-2006, 07:31
Got the FK's fitted over 3 years ago now. They were £402 plus VAT then from Performance Driven in Taunton. They were offering free fitting and fitted my rear disks free too.

Recommend getting the top bearings replaced at same time too. FK also do those.

Cheapest I have now found is 2modified. They do the Williams coilovers for £350 ad I think the Valver ones are slightly cheaper.

http://www.2modified.com/

Drivability is so much better with the coilovers on but then old suspension would have been 7 years old so any change from old to new must be good.

Did a lot of searching 3 years ago. TUV tested and Lifetime Guarantee can't be bad (FK's). They use a helper spring too which I think is a good idea so its like having 2 spring rates. Place I bought them from had only just started selling them and liked them because the height adjustment rings didn't round off like some other makes. Spanners are good and so is the protector spray (like a white grease) that comes with them.

I guess if you are unsure about the damping, adjustable Konigsport ones will allow you to fine tune. The non adjustable ones are probably at a mid setting.

Finally, not sure if other coilover users find this but with the helper spring, I find it easy to have small stones lodged between the springs. My maintenance includes taking each wheel off periodically so I can check and clean teh coilovers and lube them. Quite good practice so you can clean under the wheelarches and check brakes etc at the same time.

matty
05-05-2006, 07:36
PS Think 2modified did a group buy on something like 5 units over on cliosport so if a few people are interested might be worth speaking to them.

matty
05-05-2006, 07:40
Oh and the FK kits force you to run somewhere in the region of 2.5 degrees negative camber. Can be slightly more depending on how low you run them.

I only found this out come front tyre change time with the uneven wear.

Visit back to where I got them fitted got this corrected by using Supertracker camber adjustment bolts. Think I am running nearer 1.5 degrees negative camber. Depends on how much you want to run and how low.......

Also recommend Northampton Motorsport who set it up sweet on their rig and I believe they now offer cliosport disocunt. I will be booking it in at Northampton Motorsport again when I have had my 2 litre engine fitted to make sure handling is spot on. Will ask about Williamsclio discount whilst I am there.

Think Northampton Motorsport save your car details on their rig so guess its easier and quicker to adjust again if ever needed.

MattyH16valver
05-05-2006, 12:43
cheers m8 8)

MattyH16valver
07-05-2006, 11:47
matty - Do the FK coilovers have adjustable dampening m8?

matty
07-05-2006, 12:19
If you get Konigsports they have adjustable damping. If you get Highsports they don't.

http://www.fk-automotive.com/data01/en/downloads/pdf_katalog/fk_2006_page_041.pdf