PDA

View Full Version : New calipers - new car

KingStromba
08-04-2005, 12:22
I have just had new front and rear calipers as well as new rear discs and bearings and pads, and new braided hoses.

Obviously taking it easy to bed them in so dont know what the braking improvements are yet.

However, i have some strange findings from the work and subsequent driving.

Firstly the rear discs were SHAGGED. They had really badly corroded on the inside (side away from the visible side), and had a massive ridge of rust on them. They had warped also. The ridge and warping had shagged the pads and they were a mess.

Driving the car, i got to say it feels alot quicker. Now im wondering if i had sticking calipers / pads rubbing on the rear brakes, which would explain the rear instability i saw in 0200, which i have never had in 0002. Also the tramlining i had over small uneven surfaces has completely dissapeard (it was improved greatly with tracking, but never completely dissapeared). So im wondering if one side was sticking more than the other?

Anyone else had this sort of experience?

The handbrake feels very solid now (before it was very wishy washy). I actually feel like i could pull it up and the back would swing round a corner rally sytlee. Also the car doesnt lift up at the back when i apply the handbrake on a hill stopped at lights, but the car just stays flat.

Cost quite a bit in total £500, but one of the best things ive done.

summeh
08-04-2005, 13:16
standard parts?

KingStromba
08-04-2005, 13:36
Yes

VIPERONE
08-04-2005, 14:52
lol anything other than standard parts for stromba is terrible

GazTwo
08-04-2005, 15:02
8) .....looking forward to having my new disc's and pad's fitted, hoping to see an improvement on just changing them.... :D

KingStromba
08-04-2005, 15:38
Keep the old ones, i ve got mine. Ill try to get a pick. They look worse than toms face, so pitted and twisted.

Allan
17-04-2005, 01:15
Jusrt fitted new pads to summys williams today and it feels a lot more responsive now!

Lunner
17-04-2005, 13:56
Jusrt fitted new pads to summys williams today and it feels a lot more responsive now!

Thats cheating, he was supposed to do it himself, lol

KingStromba
17-04-2005, 14:39
Bloody hell lunner is on. :D

J o n
17-04-2005, 18:58
Rob, mine did the same before I changed all the calipers, discs, pads and hoses too. Makes a huge difference... only gripe is that the front calipers have gone again, so i'm going for 4 pots now, none of this standard shite, had my fill of paying for things unnecessarily! lol

y0z2a
19-04-2005, 02:46
the brake lines on their own would firm up the feel.

/y0z

summeh
19-04-2005, 11:07

Thats cheating, he was supposed to do it himself, lol

I DID !!! Allan just got in the way !

KingStromba
19-04-2005, 11:25
the brake lines on their own would firm up the feel.

/y0z

Its not the feel of the brakes but the handling of the car that is improved greatly.

The back end feels like it will not step out no matter what. I think i would have to be very agressive now to get it to step out.

I just get mild understeer, i come off the power slightly or left foot brake, and the nose bites again and turns back in to its line.

Before the back end out start to lose grip, so i had mild understeer followed by smooth oversteer, especially in the wet. I know it wasnt right as 0002 is nailed to the road. Both cars behave very similarly now, although i still rate the 5 year old Michelin HX's on 0002 over the brand new Michelin PE2's on 0200.

TBH the brakes are a bit better, but as im still running in the new pads i havnt yet been agressive with the brakes, but then i never am.