PDA

View Full Version : engine or gearbox

wavy
30-04-2006, 22:26
i have been thinking of doing a project
as my engine has done 109K i was thinking of getting a second hand head and replacing all the parts and swaping (does bottom end last longer)
but iv also got my williams gear box that i could work on but as iv never done anything like this before i thought the gearbox would be way to much for me to practice on
but a friend of mine who is a mechanic made it sound not that bad
how hard is a gear box? for a nOob i have owned cars for 17 years and done the odd engine swap but allways had help
is it possable to do the G/B in my front room LOL or will i need all sorts of tools for bearings and such

thanks
dave

rochdale_williams
30-04-2006, 22:36
i've tackled a few boxes at work and i found them a pig to do. need about 4 hands on the job. not sure about making your engine last longer swapping the head. if it ain't broke, don't fix it i reckon. just clocked 118k today and shes still pulling strong.

wavy
30-04-2006, 22:50
if it ain't broke, don't fix it i reckon.
that sounds about right :D
what can i do to make it last longer
what is the usual thing that kills the engine ?
i do give it a bit of stick so im tryin to think ahead

so do u think the g/b in my flat is a no no :)

clowo16v
01-05-2006, 00:04
Buy a cheap gearbox off a 16v you can get them for silly money (look for one £20-40) and take it to bits and put it back together a few times you'll get a feel of how they work and what you need to look for.

Matt

Lunner
01-05-2006, 12:31
I decided again't doing my gearbox, you need pullers etc

If you have a williams box you'll need a hydrolic press though.....valver box circlip pliers lol