PDA

View Full Version : Clutch trouble

Rudders16v
08-04-2005, 09:50
Over the last week or so, the clutch peddle seems to be notchy at times. It changes gear fine, but sometimes when you press the clutch down, it goes a bit stiff, then there's a click (sounds like when a clutch cable snaps), and the pedal goes down properly. Is this likely to be the plastic quadrant? The cars had a new genuine Renault clutch and cable within about the last 4k miles, so that should all be ok.

It did it as i was driving this morning (i've only noticed it before when stationary), but i was changing from 3rd to 4th, pressed the clutch, load cracking sound, then the pedal went down but i couldn't select any gear. Then when i stopped and tried again, seemed fine. In fact, seems better now than normal.

Any ideas?

Daz
08-04-2005, 10:26
Mine did that - a click..
A few yards down the road, multiple clicks..
Few more.. the cable snapped.

Not a great thing to happen..

On the other hand, it could be the adjuster clicking? Mine was more of a "ping".. but then, my clutch was stupidly stiff.

I'd say yours was probably the adjuster (can't remember the proper name). If you get lots of clicks and still have a cable, I'd say it wasn't the cable snapping.

2 live
08-04-2005, 10:34
sounds like the adjuster mate....pedal assy is about £15 from reno or summat...cheap enuff.....jus a bit of a bugger to do

Rudders16v
18-04-2005, 10:32
New clutch pedal assembly fitted now, all is well again, cheers for the advice

summeh
18-04-2005, 10:47
ive just fitted new clutch cable and im having a shitter of a time selecting 1st, 2nd and reverse gears.

think its worth a new pedal? they are 15quid or seomthing?

Mark_Ritchspeed
18-04-2005, 10:52
Yeh, its probably the plastice cam gear worn on the pedal. Piece of shit design if you ask me. Cant remember how many times I have changed mine.

Swervin_Mervin
18-04-2005, 10:55
Would this be why, sometimes, my pedal drops an inch after clicking? It's done this for 12months now but it works fine otherwise.

Mark_Ritchspeed
18-04-2005, 10:57
Almost definitely yes.

Swervin_Mervin
18-04-2005, 10:58
Likely to break at any time you reckon?