PDA

View Full Version : De-greasing

Lunner
30-04-2006, 14:54
When i brought my first air tool kit (cheapo one) i got a parafin wash gun or something like that, basicvally i presume it sprays a liquid out with enough force to clean things.

I know diesel can be used as a degreaser, but wondfered what teh best thing for general cleaning/de-greasing was, ie a gearbox casing

Anders
30-04-2006, 15:23
A degreasing fluid?? Autoglym do one..but you can buy others in whatever size you like. I have almost like a 25L drum with a sink attached to the top for degreasing stuff. but my mate has turned his old dishwasher into a degreaser just by plumbing it up to a drum of degreasing fluid...gets nice and hot.

If you are just pumping it through pipes then you anything you want, petrol is quite good also.

I would use seperate pipes, as when you come to spray paint anything you don't want any contaminent in there too.

You could shot blast the casing...either glass beads or crushed walnut shells.

Smokey McPot
30-04-2006, 15:24
anything petrochemical or alcohol based.

an oil based ethanol derivative would be the best bet, like diesel.

Greases are oils as are petrols etc, so you wanna use the same family of chemicals.

stan
30-04-2006, 15:40
A degreasing fluid?? Autoglym do one..but you can buy others in whatever size you like. I have almost like a 25L drum with a sink attached to the top for degreasing stuff. but my mate has turned his old dishwasher into a degreaser just by plumbing it up to a drum of degreasing fluid...gets nice and hot.

If you are just pumping it through pipes then you anything you want, petrol is quite good also.

I would use seperate pipes, as when you come to spray paint anything you don't want any contaminent in there too.

You could shot blast the casing...either glass beads or crushed walnut shells.

does the dishwasher effort do thje job well? i was thinking of this....

Lunner
30-04-2006, 17:59
I was gonna derease my cylinder head and then when the old dear went away just stick it in the ordinary dishwasher 8)

Was thinking cheap too 8)

Smokey McPot
30-04-2006, 18:30
Best off cleaning it by hand first, to get the worst of the gunge off. Conventional dishwasher detergents wont be able to emulsify all that grease.

Lunner
30-04-2006, 18:59
i'm lazy too lol

Smokey McPot
30-04-2006, 19:53
Fair. But dont say i didnt warn ya ;)

Lunner
30-04-2006, 19:59
So if i get myself some diesel and spray it on under pressure it shoudl wash the worst of it off and i can use something like a scouring pad or wire brush to remove everything else.

Shot blasting is ok, but not then the gearbox internals are still in there

donsrno1
30-04-2006, 22:01
So if i get myself some diesel and spray it on under pressure it shoudl wash the worst of it off and i can use something like a scouring pad or wire brush to remove everything else.

Go and see any farmers you know and use red diesel rather than paying £1 a litre, could get expensive if you did.

Smokey McPot
30-04-2006, 22:58

I'd get and old paint brush and brush it on or maybe use real fine wire wool, be careful of using syntheitcs as they could be dissolved by the diesel.....then rinse it with some more. Then slap it in the dishwasher.

clowo16v
30-04-2006, 23:50
It's probably cheaper to buy some gunk or jizer than get diesel.

Matt

summeh
01-05-2006, 02:34
i used a rag and carb cleaner on my gearbox. worked a treat, where the gearbox was covered in gunk meant that the aluminium hadn't oxidised, so came up a shiney treat :) took a while, but result was good.

Lunner
01-05-2006, 12:22
It's probably cheaper to buy some gunk or jizer than get diesel.

Matt

Already got the farmer angle covered....hence i get it pretty much free :D

Even if i was paying £1 a ltr still is cheaper than gunk....ALOT cheaper