PDA

View Full Version : coolent change / therm stat change

Mattie
28-04-2006, 21:51
drained the coolent 2day untill clear water was cumin out the bleed screw on the rad....changed the therm stat put everythin bk 2getha....

filled up coolent untill it came out the bleed screw.....ran the engine at 1500rpm for 4 mins....the topd up coolent then ran it at 1500rpm for a further 10 mins...

as far as i kno iv done everythin right....

but iv only toped up about 4ltrs of coolent :? dusnt the f7r hold 6ltrs?....

also iv got a leek now :evil: think its cumin from the stat housin, cant tighten the stat housin on any more though

any advise for things 2 check??? and why i havnt used 6ltrs of coolent???

cheers guys :)

Laine_16v
29-04-2006, 09:24
If your stat housing is leaking, you'll have to drain all the coolant off again.

On the stat housing rub gasket sealer (blue gel type stuff over the whole of it), and then screw it back onto the side of the block, that should stop the leaking issue.

CAnt advise about the 4ltr situation tho.

dannyb1986
29-04-2006, 10:46
it depends where you drop the coolent from, try and take iit form teh bottom of the rad, it could be you have got coolent in some of the lower pipes or in the cylinder head, thats y its only took 4 litres not 6,

BRUN
29-04-2006, 10:52
if your bleedin it from the top of the rad some water/old coolant will still be in the lower parts of the system, if you can get to it, take the bottom hose off the rad

and, as above, use some gasket paste on the stat housing, i used red on mine and it hasnt leaked a drop and ive had it off twice and redone it so it does come off easily

Mattie
02-05-2006, 19:36
it occured to me the mornin after that i hadnt used any gasket sealent :roll:

so drained it all again and applied sealent....was a right bitch 2 get the sealent round all the edges of the stat housin as i didnt take the pipes off so i could only pull it away from the block a small amount lol