PDA

View Full Version : Up in flames

summeh
28-04-2006, 10:56
:(

Went for a test drive last night with ARJ, car was pulling really well, creating a nice gap between my williams and adam's valver.

Got the occasional juddering on pulling away tho, seemed like the rev limiter kicking in, didn't think to much of it, happen again pulling off from a round about so i decided to pull over and check it out.

Got out of the car and adam came over saying there was smoke coming from my car, next thing i know he's shouting "oh my god your cars on fire!" in a high pitched girly voice :shock:

He runs to his car to get his fire extinguisher from his car, whilst i stand there like a pansy thinking i shouldn't open the bonnet and what the **** Ato do. I'm shouting hurry the **** up, my cars on fire! whilst he's pissing about trying to get the extinguisher from under the passenger seat subframe - panic stumbling i think. couple of seconds later and the extinguisher at the ready (seemed like ages), open the bonnet up and...

Flames licking around on top of the battery, the insulation on and around the wires coming off the positive terminal are on fire. couple of squirts of the extinguisher and its all out, thank ****. powder everywhere, burn marks on the bonnet.

Looks like the bettery had slipped back on acceleration, causing a wire from the positive terminal to earth on to the coil pack. shorting out and overheating the battery and all wires coming immediately off it, also spewing battery juice. a lot of insulation on the earth wires are melted thru.

This was bloody scarey, spent all that time and money just rebuilding my car and then thought it was gonna go up in flames on the first proper test drive, wud have been gutted.

Anyway just make sure your battery is properly secured, else this could happen to you! Also get a fire extinguisher, we'd have been screwed without one.

I owe adam big time now for saving my car!

rt_blackpool
28-04-2006, 11:06
dude that sucks monkey balls!! glad u and everyone else is ok though.

my batt is lose, but it weighs a ton (literaly! :) ) but now im deff going to secure it and check all the connections.

any chance of gettins some pics up of the damage?

summeh
28-04-2006, 11:07
yeah will do tonight.

stupid of me not to have thought really... as i was checking over every single screw nut and bolt on my rebuild like 100 times.

But the battery was the last thing to be put in place, literally drop it in, screw up the terminals and can't wait to get out of the garage.

Zollo
28-04-2006, 11:13
Fireman Adam to the rescue! 8)

Bloody lucky escape by the sounds of things. Another cursed Clio. You and Mervin need to sell up before they kill or bankrupt you :shock:

Purple
28-04-2006, 11:15
That was bloody close one, mate. I have 2 extinguishers, 1 under the driver seat and the other on the passenger door bin. Got the second one after Bayliss' pictures. Feel like I need another one now.

summeh
28-04-2006, 11:16
lol, one for the boot aswell.

Purple
28-04-2006, 11:21
Even got a pair of cheap workman gloves, in case I need to be ripping out hot burning stuff. Be prepared, scout's motto. :)

summeh
28-04-2006, 11:27
lol - I just thought about getting a fire extinguisher for the girlfriends car aswell, but to be honest on second thoughts if her car was on fire, i'd rather her leg it than try to put it out.

wavy
28-04-2006, 11:31
bad news mate glad its not done too much damage
cant belive u didnt stop n take pics of the flames while waiting for extingisher :lol: u know we all like action shots

glad u are ok tho :)

Andyvalver
28-04-2006, 11:34
:shock: lucky your mate had a fire extinguisher handy.

BRUN
28-04-2006, 11:48
very lucky mate

ive got an extinguisher under the passenger seat

Scott-16v!
28-04-2006, 11:50
Jesus :shock: could've been a lot worse, might have to go buy an extinguisher just in case

summeh
28-04-2006, 11:50
lol pics? was last thing on my mind tbh mate :shock: :D

McPikie
28-04-2006, 12:28
No excuse not to have one to be honest, they only a tenner or so from Tesco

*Pikie hangs his head in shame for still not having one himself*

VIPERONE
28-04-2006, 12:49
LOL.. u bought anything from brother Bayliss?

arj256
28-04-2006, 13:30
Got out of the car and adam came over saying there was smoke coming from my car, next thing i know he's shouting "oh my god your cars on fire!" in a high pitched girly voice :shock:

Lol girly voice :roll: didnt hear one of those.

Was an exciting night, poor old clio felt slow when Matt drove past me and i couldnt keep up.

Was random that it just cut out, and then smoke. Annoyingly the fire extinguisher got stuck under the drivers seat subframe, so took a few secs more to unhook it.

Lol was funny when we opened the bonnet, and Matt was standing there saying "The fire get the fire", and i was like get out of the way move.
He was stood in the best line of shot for the extinguisher :roll: .

Just goes to show how handy they are, never thought id use mine.

Justin..
28-04-2006, 13:49
:shock: :o :shock: :o shit man gutted :( glad ur all ok though. :)

you gunna fix her up summeh?

an eventfull night then or what! especially for adam lol

clowo16v
28-04-2006, 14:12
My 106 caught fire twice its well scary I managed to put it out both times though.

Hope its an easy fix mate.

Matt

Rott
28-04-2006, 14:16
Coulda been worse m8, i lost a 4x4 Cosworth and a BB-Tuning built R5 to similar inccidents :evil:

summeh
28-04-2006, 14:20
yeah its an easy fix, just need to reinsulate the loom sections that burnt.

anmd clean the bonnet

wondering whether to buy a new battery, no external damage, but it was shorting out for a bit. so might have damaged it internally, but ive used it since and it seems fine :-k

rt_blackpool
28-04-2006, 14:22
yeah its an easy fix, just need to reinsulate the loom sections that burnt.

anmd clean the bonnet

wondering whether to buy a new battery, no external damage, but it was shorting out for a bit. so might have damaged it internally, but ive used it since and it seems fine :-k

for a couple of notes it seems a wise investment