PDA

View Full Version : 95 better than 98 ????

BRUN
26-04-2006, 19:00
ive always used Optimax, in the RT, in the GTT, and now in the Valver

with the rising cost of petrol i couldnt afford Optimax so the other day i put in a full tank of 95, apart from that ive made no other changes to the car

my car is better, its quicker, more responsive, and doesnt do the mornin boggy thing it sometimes does for a few seconds

i cant see how that could be ?........i know the car wont adjust to the 98 Optimax but i thought on the whole it was still the better fuel to use

ill still probably use it every now and again because of the cleaning agents in it, but this has got me very confused

can anyone explain why my car might be better on 95 ?

Martin
26-04-2006, 19:05
it's your imagination.... anyone who says they can tell differences from types of petrol is lying imo .....Anyone wanna take the pepsi challenge and prove me wrong? :P

Zollo
26-04-2006, 19:06
Your car has a Hill Power chip in yeah? Perhaps the original map was set to run on 95 ron?

What petrol do/did the Cups run on?

BRUN
26-04-2006, 19:12
yup it does have a hill power chip

Zollo
26-04-2006, 19:14
Something else to ask Nick about then! Maybe the Mk1 Cups were run on 95, cos it's the same, or a similar, map to that I thought.

Mattie
26-04-2006, 22:06
cant notice any diference in using 97 instead of 95 apart from that my car idles dodgey now im usin 97 :?

could be down 2 sumat else though i suppose

Swervin_Mervin
26-04-2006, 22:10
Was it at the same Shell garage? I used Ultimate at Elvington and thought the car was a bit rough, and have done before.

Normally mine runs sweet as on Optimax but I've had two tankfuls of 97 Sainsbury's in and that's also good stuff. I think a lot depends on the station itself. Are you using a very busy station? If less people fill up with Optimax than 95 it could be going off a bit.

The sainsbury's I use and the Shell are on the commute and so get a battering which is why I think the fuel is always good.

rt_blackpool
26-04-2006, 22:33
correct me if im wrong, but isnt optimax just normall unleaded with something like injector cleaner added?

if this is the case then it would make sense if ur car runs better on normall unleaded

1fast6
26-04-2006, 22:51
correct me if im wrong, but isnt optimax just normall unleaded with something like injector cleaner added?

if this is the case then it would make sense if ur car runs better on normall unleaded

Yes it has additives but it is a different petrol because it has a 98 ron rating. Means it can withstand pre-det better iirc.

richy
26-04-2006, 23:12
dont seem to make any difference to my car on optimax or normal unleaded, i do put soem optimax in for trackdays etc, hope it helps lol