PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

Smokey McPot
26-04-2006, 17:49
Someone i know is being sued over a year after an accident whereby they crashed into a white van driver.

The person who caused the accident, has since switched insurers, however his previous company provided legal aid as part of the policy (at the time it was not needed) and dealt with the necessary detials.

Does anyone know if the previous insurers are still required to provide cover as they were the nomitated company at the time of the accident?

donsrno1
26-04-2006, 18:16
Someone i know is being sued over a year after an accident whereby they crashed into a white van driver.

The person who caused the accident, has since switched insurers, however his previous company provided legal aid as part of the policy (at the time it was not needed) and dealt with the necessary detials.

Does anyone know if the previous insurers are still required to provide cover as they were the nomitated company at the time of the accident?

I don't know for sure but I would think it should be his previous insurers who are responsible for the legal cover.

mikeymikewakey
26-04-2006, 18:19
Yes, they should provide cover, however I think they do have a right to refuse cover if the person you mention didnt report the incident at any stage during the policy being live.

I'll have to double check this though.

Mike

Smokey McPot
26-04-2006, 21:04
Yes, they should provide cover, however I think they do have a right to refuse cover if the person you mention didnt report the incident at any stage during the policy being live.

I'll have to double check this though.

Mike

All was correctly reported at the time as both vehicles were written off an appropriately compensated.

The incident was approximately 3 years ago.