Its £2.42 a litre though!

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=13729

:shock:

Dan_Williams
26-04-2006, 12:43
16 % is a hell of alot though :shock:

Anders
26-04-2006, 12:45
Thats pretty cheap...I pay £6.50 a litre for my racing fuel into the rally car.

clowo16v
26-04-2006, 13:18
It wont make **** all difference to a Clio though the injection doesn't ajust itself to cope with it you'd need to remap it and bump the timing right up for it to make any difference.

Matt

Lunner
26-04-2006, 13:18
Can't see it making a massive difference unless your car is mapped to run it

Anders
26-04-2006, 15:13
I'm sure it would be better to run it on this than 95 though?

As a higher octance fuel, won't it combust more easily and readily, therefore by means of the knock sensor, the ecu adjusting the timing to suit?

I though that was the whole purpose of the sensor, to detect possible detonation and adjust accordingly. So then you much gain something, even if it is a tiny amount?

clowo16v
26-04-2006, 15:59
It won't advance the ignition enough to cope I don't think I put some 107 octane race fuel in mine a few weeks ago because it was getting to its use by date and it didn't make a noticeable difference.

If you remapped the car to suit it would be better, but then if you went back to 95 it'd pink.

Matt

j3ned
26-04-2006, 16:10
If your car is that of a later type the ECU will notice the fuel is of a higher grade and it will either advance are retard your timing to cope with the higher combustable fuel. If your car has been mapped up ( like mine ) to run on a specific octane fuel like optimax, the 102 wont work. Higher octane fuel is only of use to more modern cars with ECU's that can adjust accordingly.

jay s
26-04-2006, 16:12
just went to fill up with this as i live next to 1 of the stations that sell it, thought id give it a try. had a bit of a shock at the pump ( apart from the 6.2ltrs @ £15 that i got :shock: ) after i finished a man came up to me and said he was from the sunday times and wanted to ask a few questions, started talking about the car, what petrol i normaly use , if i thought it would make any diff, the price blah blah blah, anyway he took my number as he said they are doing some test and asked if i would take part, i said yes. got a phone call about 20 mins later asking if they could get some photos of myself and the car for the paper, few more calls and i got a photographer coming round @ 5 to take pics, got to go iron some jeans and whack the grill back in quickly, oh pick up seems a little better with the juice but think ill just stick to bp ultimate @ £1.04 in the future.

clowo16v
26-04-2006, 16:27
It'll make a fair amount of difference in an Evo 7/8/9 we wanged some race fuel in my mates it was loads quicker

Matt

Anders
26-04-2006, 17:08
Yeah, I run some ELF Racing fuel (think its called Pro Rallye or something) stuff in the Scooby, haven't tried it in anything else as the higher octance will kill it.

It is about 102 RON, but then add a splash of bio-ethanol, it flies!!