PDA

View Full Version : Bent Chassis

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 18:12
How big a crash would be needed to bend the chassis on a car?

I'm just asking as I bought a clio 16v but it was in a wee crash a while ago, but it all got fixed up under insurance. Yesterday I noticed a couple of things which had me seriously pannicing thinking i'd bought a car with a bent chassis or something, but now think I have managed to explain all the things I noticed. The only problem I have is that the bonnet isn't quite right and is pushed too far back on one side.

How can you check if the chassis is bent or whatever?

I don't really know much about that side of cars so I'm just trying to check whats what. Is that what is meant when people talk about a car being put on a jig - to sort the chassis etc?

As I say, I now think mine is OK apart from the bonnet, but just wanted to find out more about it and get an idea of what would be required to cause that sort of damage.

Justin..
24-04-2006, 18:18
are you sure the bonnet isn't just mis-aligned? theyre easy to adjust or maybe has a bent hinge :?:

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 18:23
how do you adjust them? It could be that but I don't know how you adjust them.

The other things I noticed were things like a difference in the gap between the wheel and the arch on either side(one side I can get two fingers between the gap and the other side only one), but I realised it's probably just the bumper being mounted differently as it seems to be pushed out on one side more than the other. Am I correct in thinking washers are used to space the bumper out more or less?

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 18:25
also, given that it was all reparied as an insurance job - should the car's chassis etc have been checked properly to make sure it was all as it should be?

TBH the place just seem to have done a crap job of fitting the things as the wing isn't quite fitted properly due to the metal surround of the headlight sticking out a bit and stuff like that.

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 18:27
Heres a pic of the bonnet as it is:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/donsrno1/PDR_0071.jpg

Justin..
24-04-2006, 18:28
just looks to be fitted wrong tbh

Lunner
24-04-2006, 18:30
If its had a front impact the front end of the clios are a pain in teh ass the line up if fitting a new front bit, apparetly its plug and play on most models apart from mk1 clios so my local bodyshop was telling me, and they are a pain in teh arse to get spot on

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 18:32
How can I adjust the fitting then?

I'll be taking it off when I get a chance anyway to have a look but that won't be for another couple of weeks yet (uni exams :( ) but it would be good to know how to adjust it.

Lunner
24-04-2006, 18:36
I dunno, i went into someon'e tow bar at low speeds and it bent it abit, we spent about an hour bashing it with a hammer and block of wood till it fitted ok.

To adjust bonnet loosen it and then move it and then easiest if you get a mate to tighten it while you are holding it in position

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 18:39
I dunno, i went into someon'e tow bar at low speeds and it bent it abit, we spent about an hour bashing it with a hammer and block of wood till it fitted ok.

To adjust bonnet loosen it and then move it and then easiest if you get a mate to tighten it while you are holding it in position

kl, will try that when I get a chance. What did you bend to have to bash it back into shape?

Clio_GTT
24-04-2006, 18:57
The crossmember, the piece of metal above the radiator that the bonnet catches are attached to.

A jig is a frame in which the car sits, the frame is how the car left the factory, if it doesn't fit its bent, TBH its an old car and they're never gonna be perfect, just bend it back into reasonable shape, then maybe use washers to space the bonnet forward

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 19:08
The crossmember, the piece of metal above the radiator that the bonnet catches are attached to.

A jig is a frame in which the car sits, the frame is how the car left the factory, if it doesn't fit its bent, TBH its an old car and they're never gonna be perfect, just bend it back into reasonable shape, then maybe use washers to space the bonnet forward

Had a look earlier and I think the crossmember seems to be OK. I'll just have to have a proper look at everything when I have time. Once I do that I'll ask again if I have any questions.

Duli
24-04-2006, 20:36
I have totaled my previous Clio 1.4RT, when I hit the trees sideways at about 10mph. My front end bented to the left for about 2", and the car was damaged beyond the repair, altho she was still drivable.

So, you dont have to hit anything hard with a Clio, to destroy her.

Lunner
24-04-2006, 21:12
Mostly its a case of looking at it and saying right the bonnet needs to go left, to that bit needs to come out slightly and that bt bend that way a bit

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 21:19
I'm felling totally gutted. I've just been out in the car for a gentle drive and the car was pulling to the left quite a bit if you let go of the wheel. I'm guessing as it had a crash on that side that this would be the cause of it.

If it is due to that is it likely to mean that the car is quite badly damaged? I've got totally mixed feelings as on the one hand I should have noticed it was slightly worse than I first thought, but also as the guy who sold it to me made out the crash was nothing and that it hadn't affected the car in any way as to how it drives - but that clearly isn't the case. I've gone from having bought the car with a knackered gearbox thinking I can't wait to get it fixed and drive it to wondering what the **** I'm going to do with the car as I don't want a car that doesn't drive properly.

Lunner
24-04-2006, 21:29
Been there done that with previous car....its that feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach.

As ofr pulling ti coudl be somethign as simple as tracking ****ed

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 21:33
Been there done that with previous car....its that feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach.

As ofr pulling ti coudl be somethign as simple as tracking f**ked

Sums it up completely mate.

I just get the feeling that theres more to it than the tracking, but who knows. I think the best plan is just to put a new box on there then see how the car feels, possibly get the tracking done and if it still pulls to one side then I'll consider my options. I'll also probably strip down the front end and see what sort of condition things are in behind the wings and bumper which should give me a better idea as to the condition of the car in general.

Coops
24-04-2006, 21:35
dont panic mate, my old rt was a cat c write off repaired n was okay. the back looked like it was gonna overtake the front cuz the rear axle was bent to **** bit i had it tracked and its still fine now me sisters got it, handles fine n passed all mot's etc. get it to a garage n get the wheels balanced and if u can afford new tyres least at the front, difference in tread can cause it to pull. then get the tracking done. that shud sort the pulling problem.

as for panels, lunners right, almost every panel and visible part is adjustable in some way shape or form on these cars, i spent a weekend on my valver when i first got it undoing everything and realigining it to fit right, nipping up the bolts, taking a step back, readjusting etc and eventually it looked right! over time the panels slip etc and just need tidying up!

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 21:35
I should also say though - I like the power of it :twisted: When I took it out it only had 1st, 2nd and 4th gear. I took it easy first and second but couldn't resist in 4th. Shortly after I hit about 70mph and 4th was no longer, lol. If you don't laugh you'll cry so I might as well look at the funny side.

Coops
24-04-2006, 21:37
just out of interest but ebay special? mine was n head gasket blew after 2 months! :oops:

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 21:39
dont panic mate, my old rt was a cat c write off repaired n was okay. the back looked like it was gonna overtake the front cuz the rear axle was bent to f**k bit i had it tracked and its still fine now me sisters got it, handles fine n passed all mot's etc. get it to a garage n get the wheels balanced and if u can afford new tyres least at the front, difference in tread can cause it to pull. then get the tracking done. that shud sort the pulling problem.

as for panels, lunners right, almost every panel and visible part is adjustable in some way shape or form on these cars, i spent a weekend on my valver when i first got it undoing everything and realigining it to fit right, nipping up the bolts, taking a step back, readjusting etc and eventually it looked right! over time the panels slip etc and just need tidying up!

Well, I know the guy before me drove it for about a year after it's accident and then the gearbox went. I'll probably get it sorted but it's just so gutting as I thought that in that sense the car was fine and the only main problem I knew of was the gearbox.

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 21:42
just out of interest but ebay special? mine was n head gasket blew after 2 months! :oops:

It was on ebay but I then bought it off the guy outside of ebay. Cost me £500 which seemed OK given the condition of it and the only problem being the gearbox - but the rest of the problems would make me re-think the price, although whats done is done.

Coops
24-04-2006, 21:42
mine n all mate, then the gasket went, then the bearings, now the suspension! welcome to twelve year old french car ownership!its a constant battle!! :wink:

donsrno1
24-04-2006, 21:45
lol, I've had a 1.4 RT for the last year, which to be fair has been pretty reliable but I know valvers can be a whole new ball game. Still, these french cars are helping me learn a bit as now I just do anything needed on the car myself.

Coops
24-04-2006, 21:45
thats the spirit, dont let the bastards grind u down! :wink:

titch16v
24-04-2006, 22:47
I had an rt that had a front end accident and it had bent the bonnet hinges in. The trouble is the hinges are welded on and you have to sort of try and pull them out, but its a bit awkward. I had to put about a thousand washers on to try and line it up lol. I got it looking good though, just a bit of time a patients. As for the pulling to the left i had the same as well lol. I had to replace the sub frame as it had bent it.