PDA

View Full Version : Anyone weighed their valver/Williams?

stevie_b
23-04-2006, 23:08
I know the book says they are 980 kg to start with but has anyone weighed their 16-valver or Williams? Or do you know whether the 980kg includes fuel in the tank, a full washer bottle, etc.? I know I have taken about 150kg of stuff out of my car so am guessing I should be down to 980-150 = 830 kg, but would be interested to hear some real-world figures from anyone that has weighed their car.

Thanks

Steve

MatBrown
23-04-2006, 23:10
I tried but it bust the bathroom scales.
The Mrs was well Pissed!

Mat.

Zollo
24-04-2006, 12:07
My Williams 2, with full tank of fuel but the spare removed, was bang on 1000 kilos.

Martin
24-04-2006, 13:16
I know the book says they are 980 kg to start with but has anyone weighed their 16-valver or Williams? Or do you know whether the 980kg includes fuel in the tank, a full washer bottle, etc.? I know I have taken about 150kg of stuff out of my car so am guessing I should be down to 980-150 = 830 kg, but would be interested to hear some real-world figures from anyone that has weighed their car.

Thanks

Steve#

pics?

Lunner
24-04-2006, 15:21
Hybrid with full custom leather, sound deadening added, std wheels, half tank of fuel 1030kg

stevie_b
24-04-2006, 21:13
Cheers Lunner - gives me a good idea that the 980 in the book is about correct.

Notorious - here are some pics. Still a bit of work to do, tidying up the loom to remove the wiring that is no longer needed, grinding out the odd bracket, etc. Fibreglass bonnet to go on and polycarbonate side and rear glass. Should shave another 20kg off easily. Then just need to stick the speedo and gauges back in on a custom made tiny dash! Sparco Rev seat and Sabelt harness to go in too.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/2stis/clio1.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/2stis/clio2.jpg

Cheers,

Steve

Martin
24-04-2006, 21:21
Good work fella..... mines looking similar, polycarbs help

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/9597/hybrid12thjandoor6bj.jpg

Coops
24-04-2006, 21:23
love the look of the inside of the door like that martin mate! well tidier than with all the metal crap in there! 8)

stevie_b
25-04-2006, 09:49
OK. OK. I'll cut out all the metal crap then!

Notorious - Did you cut the poly windows for youself or can you buy them pre-made from somewhere? Also, was it your car that I saw pics of somewhere that has a very nice ally fuel tank in the rear? Looks really sorted that car does. If so any advice, or is there a thread detailing the build somewhere on here? Did you go for a swirl pot, how many gals capacity is useful, etc.

Also have you been through an MOT since as I'm not quite sure where I need to stop! Although it's not intended to be my road car anymore I still hoped to keep it road legal so I could take it to the 'Ring (gets expensive if you need to trailer it there!) now and then.

Cheers,

Steve

seanofnp
25-04-2006, 10:05
my valvers having the rear seats taken out soon. I thought that was a rather big step... EEEK

Mind you, mine is my everyday car. :)

Zollo
25-04-2006, 10:22
Notorious - Did you cut the poly windows for youself or can you buy them pre-made from somewhere? Also, was it your car that I saw pics of somewhere that has a very nice ally fuel tank in the rear? Looks really sorted that car does. If so any advice, or is there a thread detailing the build somewhere on here? Did you go for a swirl pot, how many gals capacity is useful, etc.

That's the Banana with the fuel cell. Gaztwo owns it now, though it was Martin's. :)

Martin
25-04-2006, 10:29
OK. OK. I'll cut out all the metal crap then!

Also have you been through an MOT since as I'm not quite sure where I need to stop! Although it's not intended to be my road car anymore I still hoped to keep it road legal so I could take it to the 'Ring (gets expensive if you need to trailer it there!) now and then.

Cheers,

Steve

I got the polycarbs from plastics4performance.co.uk mate...alloy tank in the back was my old car which Gaz has now...it does have swirl pot and the capacity is 20 litres which is a touch small (130 mile range cruising iirc) if I was was to get another I would go for 25/30.....

I've had it mot'd with 2 buckets and the dash still in no probs...

Lunner
25-04-2006, 13:38
Why get an alloy tank, it just upstes the balance of the car....unless you are competing in it.

The std tank offers the lowest centre of gravity, and lets face it thats where you want the weight to be, as low as possible

MatBrown
26-04-2006, 01:20
Weight got the Alloy tank cos his standard one was melting at the corner.

Mat.

stevie_b
26-04-2006, 08:38
Why get an alloy tank, it just upstes the balance of the car....unless you are competing in it.

The std tank offers the lowest centre of gravity, and lets face it thats where you want the weight to be, as low as possible

I will be competing in it now and then but more likely track days as you get more track time for the day you spend there (10 mins per day max, at a sprint!)

You are quite right re: the CofG but I figured you could still mount an ally tank low down, rather than in the boot? Probably not worth the hassle though (finding the right shape, etc.) - it was just that the tank on my Peugeot must have weighed a good 10kg and I thought an ally tank would be much lighter. Mind you, the Pug needed half a tank of fuel to avoid starvation as well (~20kg), whereas you can run my valver very hard with the low fuel light on and it never stutters!

stevie_b
26-04-2006, 08:48
I got the polycarbs from plastics4performance.co.uk mate...alloy tank in the back was my old car which Gaz has now...it does have swirl pot and the capacity is 20 litres which is a touch small (130 mile range cruising iirc) if I was was to get another I would go for 25/30.....

Thanks for the info. I got a quote a week back from plastics4performance and it seemed quite reasonable (£170 for the poly plus £20 if I want the slider - do you find that useful?) but wasn't sure exactly what I would get so thought I might cut my own to size. Since they have done your Clio I have a bit more confidence in them knowing the right measurements now - were they the right size to just slot into the standard window apertures using the original fittings/rubbers or was there a bit more fiddling about to it?

Any idea about the rough weight of the originals vs. the polys?

Re: the MOT did you have the door skins cut away then as I read somewhere that it's an MOT fail if you can see the outer skin from inside the car??

Cheers mate

Lunner
26-04-2006, 10:23
Ref MOT failure mine has been through 2 MOT^'s with the outer door skin showing, and passed fine

stevie_b
26-04-2006, 11:28
Thanks Lunner. My MOT man is pretty lenient with my competition cars (re: cats, etc.) so I should be okay but just wondered if there was such a requirement. I heard that there were some rules about poly windows as well in that you had to be able to open them (presume in case of a crash or something) so rivets would be out for a road car, but then probably most MOT testers don't know every little rule anyway.

The doors are fairly easy to resolve anyway - if it fails I can just stick the cards back over it for the day!

Martin
26-04-2006, 14:11

Thanks for the info. I got a quote a week back from plastics4performance and it seemed quite reasonable (£170 for the poly plus £20 if I want the slider - do you find that useful?) but wasn't sure exactly what I would get so thought I might cut my own to size. Since they have done your Clio I have a bit more confidence in them knowing the right measurements now - were they the right size to just slot into the standard window apertures using the original fittings/rubbers or was there a bit more fiddling about to it?

Any idea about the rough weight of the originals vs. the polys?

Re: the MOT did you have the door skins cut away then as I read somewhere that it's an MOT fail if you can see the outer skin from inside the car??

Cheers mate

I got the versions that use the original seals they slotted straight in really just need 1.2 rear window seals and your sorted. As far as weight goes I'm not sure exactly but I was quoted a 16kg saving iirc although that does seem alot :?

Flan
02-05-2006, 22:01
you lot are all ****in nuts.... :lol:

stevie... nics touch with the manual in the back...lol

You need a fibreglass boot aswell :wink:

stevie_b
02-05-2006, 22:55
Yep, obviously I am going to take the Haynes manual out later to save another kilo :lol:

If you can tell me where I can get a fibreglass boot from then sure I'll have one. Been looking but can't find it anywhere.

Spent the bank holiday weekend stripping the loom to get rid of some of that mess of wires. Don't need the wires for speakers, windows, mirrors, door solenoids, sunroof, aeriel, rear wiper/wash, etc. BTW, for anyone else interested you can remove the solenoid from the locking mechanism but keep the rest I found out, which will save another bit of weight!!!

My Ex-Formula 1 carbon fibre battery should arrive in the next few days which will save a lot on the 12kg original (if it still holds charge, that is!). Although realistically I'm not sure it will start the car since they are not used for that high current purpose in F1, but if I can start it up on a battery booster and then keep it running on the lighter battery for the length of a track session then that will be fine.

Oh, and when I've finished I've just been instructed (by her that must be obeyed) that I have to add a load of weight back in with a roll cage before I can drive it anywhere. Probably shouldn't have shown her that video of Martin rolling over the other day, which is what has set her mind. Martin, glad to see you are okay and hope you are back on the road soon mate.

ash clio gtt
02-05-2006, 23:00
my car is at 810kg at the moment. cobra imola kevlar buckets with alloy side mounts, removed carpet, sound deadening, roof lining, interior plastics (apart from front door cards) stereo and speakers removed, no spare wheel, no charcoal canister, 16" superleggera alloys oh and c1j engine. will get it under 800kg soon enough :lol:

stevie_b
02-05-2006, 23:07
Yeah, turn buckets to bucket and you'll probably do it :lol:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a c1j engine, and is it much lighter than a f7p/f7r?

Justin..
02-05-2006, 23:11
GTT engine , he cheats :P

stevie_b
03-05-2006, 10:28
As in the R5 GTT? That was my first car. I wasn't mechanically minded enough back then to know the engine designation though. Was a great car but had to sell it when I moved abroad - wish I'd kept it as it was mint (a decade ago!). RAC vehicle check showed it hasn't changed hands recently but might still be out there somewhere?!?!

Guess as well as being lighter they are easier/cheaper to tune than the F7P/R? I want to stick with the N/A engine in mine though.

Dan_mk1
03-05-2006, 12:02
I weighed my valver at the weekend after some stripping action :twisted:
it came in at 920kg with removed carpet, rear seats, headlining, front and rear door cards, sun visors, spare wheel + cage, OMP buckets at 8kg's each. I thought it would be lighter tbh, as im sure it was 925 with leathers + 16s :?

Clio_GTT
03-05-2006, 17:33
yer ash has a pretty nice spec'd R5 GTT lump in his 16v, around and about 200 bhp and 810 kg, with more removed since then and more to come :D

ash clio gtt
03-05-2006, 20:36
yer ash has a pretty nice spec'd R5 GTT lump in his 16v, around and about 200 bhp and 810 kg, with more removed since then and more to come :D

alot more to come :twisted:

dont know yet if the engine will stay in the clio though, i look at phase 1 electric blue r5 gtt's and wish i got one of them :cry: :roll: