PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Cable, Gearbox!

mattyc
21-04-2006, 11:15
Alright,

My clutch cable was replaced six weeks ago after it snapped, 2 days ago it went again.

i took it back to the garage and they have said that they think its "Gearbox Bushes" that are causeing it to snap, so i will have to pay for another cable change (£140) plus what ever it costs todo the gearbox (they're gonna let me know if it is that or not today) because if it isn't im covered by their warentee n get the clutch cable done for free.

so does this sound like it is a gearbox problem? they say the clutch is fine!

1fast6
21-04-2006, 11:22
gearbox bushes? what a pathetic explaination.

The clutch cable bell housing has a location eye which a rubber stopper slots into then the cable is pulled over thge clutch fork. There are no bushes involved in this operation.

£140 for a clutch cable? christ send it my way and i'll do it for 40 quid plus the clutch cable which is 15 quid.

The fact that your valver has snapped two cables so soon means that the cables were either routed wrongly or the clutch is so worn it is too much for the cable.

My advise, find another garage.

wavy
21-04-2006, 12:23
i dont know much about cars but it sounds like wrongly fitted in the 1st place
140 is way to much
iv read in other posts u can do it ya self in 1 hour with little experiance

there havin a laugh :twisted:

VIPERONE
21-04-2006, 12:33
bollox.. if its not fitted correctly it will undoubhtably snap. you n eed to make sure the grommet is in place where the cable enters the footwell...otherwise the thin metal will cause it to fray ie cuts it... the friction...

summeh
21-04-2006, 13:24
gearbox bushes? wtf is that?

lame excuse tbh. I've posted a thread with instructions on how to do this yourself in the parts/guide section.

new cable = 16quid inc vat (gen reno jobby)
1hrs labour = 35-45quid at most.

summeh
21-04-2006, 13:28
I'd agree find another garage sharpish, they sound like cowboys trying to rob you. How do they know the clutch is fine? have they had the gearbox off already?

I wouldn't trust um.

Clutch cables have a tendancy to snap if the clutch is on its way out, as this puts extra strain on the cable, and makes the clutch more heavy. So them saying the clutch is fine is a bit dubious.

They probbably didn't route/install it correctly.

mattyc
21-04-2006, 16:40
They're now saying that theres something wrong with the gearbox but the bloke on the phone doesn't know what lol ... (they're talking 2 my mum not me, as shes paying on her cc). the bloke on the fone is adiment its not their fitting thats the problem, but sounds like they're quite worried, because they've been looking for a problem all day and talking crap to us! anyway, i'll let u know how it go;s

VIPERONE
21-04-2006, 16:42
whats there phone number.. one of us can cll them and explain the problem, before they hve your mother shell out on her credit card..

ajketley
22-04-2006, 00:34
Dude ive had the same problem but mines snapped maybe 6 times! :?

When I went to renault they said it was to do with the mechanism on the back of the pedal, you can upgrade it for about 150quid. clutch cable should cost about 20 quid. Maybe half hour fitting so 15 - 20 quid if you go to a garage but like said you can do it in an hour! My advice jack up the drivers side and take out the inner trim bit (easier access).

Hope this helps

Adam

mattyc
22-04-2006, 10:26
So did you upgrade your pedal in the end then? and has it not gone now? because i had the pedal "ratchet" done the first time!

anyway, they have done the cable for free now, but its not a genuine renault one! is there anything i can do to stop this happening again. because the garage have said that if this one snaps then its going to be full charge (wouldn't take it back there anyway)

just worrying if im gonna be driving to the french car show etc and could be without a clutch on the motorway

1fast6
22-04-2006, 13:44
When I went to renault they said it was to do with the mechanism on the back of the pedal, you can upgrade it for about 150quid.

I know they changed the pedal ratchet design but i've never heard of this. £150? stuff that. The re-design is more than adequete and cables will only snap if they are routed wrong or the clutch is heavy. The design is fine.

summeh
23-04-2006, 03:12
just carry a spare clutch cable with you if u are that worried, then if it does go, call the aa and they can do it on the side of the road.

Smokey McPot
23-04-2006, 12:04
Even i can do a clutch cable, and im 'special'

wavy
23-04-2006, 12:55
Even i can do a clutch cable, and im 'special'

:lol: ROFL :lol:

Lunner
23-04-2006, 13:51
Cable is £15 and i got charged £40 to have mine swapped.

Pedal is £23 from reno, and takes me all of an hour now if that