PDA

View Full Version : Close shave

Rott
20-04-2006, 16:32
:oops:

Lost the willy bigtime today, and like the man i know i am i can declare " It wasn't my fault!!!"

was going round a bend at about 45mph easily takeable at 60-65 in any car really, on a dry unfrosted road and the arse overtook me, no warning whatsoever, was only for a bit of quick thinking that i never went into the trees, managed to handbrake her round 360, no damage done exept a couple scratches on my newly done wheels, hopfully they'll buff out fine, anyway back on topic, what do yawl think, i'm blaming the torsion bar or similar, something needs to be way out before an inccident like this to occur whilst a car of the williams abilities is being driven nowhere near it's limits, any ideas thoughts :? :? :roll:

Zollo
20-04-2006, 16:38
Diesel, oil, etc on the road?

Whatever, I'd get the car checked out to see if something's failed before venturing back out.

dannyb1986
20-04-2006, 18:20
my 16v once did the same, goin round a roundabout i usually can go 50ish orund, was only doing about 35 and it spun in a circle, never did it again mind!

Rajk
20-04-2006, 20:20
is your car lowered? or has it ever been? check your rear shocks just in case they gave up the ghost under heavy load?

Rott
20-04-2006, 22:42
I've since learned that the previous keeper replaced a spring, shortly b4 selling it, the spring that came off wasn't the same as the spring that went on, need to get it stripped down now for piece of mind, let yawl know how i get on!!!!

steveos_16valver
20-04-2006, 22:48
make sure the rear calipers arnt sticking and the compensator is correctly adjusted on the rear(take it to a mot centre and ask them to check braking effincies and they will be able to tell )

MatBrown
20-04-2006, 22:50
Tyre pressures?
Lift off oversteer?

Mat.

wavy
21-04-2006, 01:19
was going round a bend at about 45mph easily takeable at 60-65 in any car really,

i usually can go 50ish orund, was only doing about 35

put ya foot down :lol:

na sorry could of been bad
but from what u say it does sound like odd or wrong springs may of been added

Purple
21-04-2006, 01:46
couple scratches on my newly done wheels, hopfully they'll buff out fine,

What did you had done to your wheels? That's might be another point to suspect.

I once had a severe tyre deflation on a scooby while rounding a tight corner. It was because the tyres were just fitted some hours ago and not bedded in yet. It seems the rubbers do wobble a bit until they are mated properly.

VIPERONE
21-04-2006, 01:47
Neverput the power down early on a bend in the willy.. you need to power on a bt later than normal..lol or you'll go from hero..to zero..

tyres brakes etc play a part..wel done on your recovery...class

Purple
21-04-2006, 02:07
Neverput the power down early on a bend in the willy.. you need to power on a bt later than normal..lol or you'll go from hero..to zero..

I am more incline to think it was not his fault as there was a 20mph safety margin.

IMHO, there is no real "correct way" to corner with a Williams. Either the classic slow-in, fast-out technique that most drivers do. Or fast-in but lift at apex to shave off speed and improve turn-in angle (aka oversteer) like Zollo does :-) I think they all work rather well.

VIPERONE
21-04-2006, 02:12
aye..true... you ever had a spin???..

when i wide tracked my car i visited a huge car park.. and experimented with limit cornering.. oh and the skidpan at work.lol

Purple
21-04-2006, 02:21
aye..true... you ever had a spin???..
when i wide tracked my car i visited a huge car park.. and experimented with limit cornering.. oh and the skidpan at work.lol

Never spun on the Williams. A few of tank slappers though. Which I completely blame Dunlop SP9000 tyres. They are really the worst performance tyres I have ever used. Threw them away after 3 weeks of use, made me look like a complete idiot at every corner, wet or dry :D

VIPERONE
21-04-2006, 02:51
LOL... im running vredstein sprotrac 2 at the moment..very impressed with them tbh..

no hair raising moments yet touch wood...

Anders
21-04-2006, 10:05
I am currently using the Vredstein Snowtrack 2...and I have to say they are fantastic. No studs, just plain old rubber but the grip is excellent in all conditions.

Now the snow is melting and the roads are virtually clear now but the handling is pants in the dry...time for summer tyres and back to the Michelins!!

Can't wait to get the handling back...so different.

Rott
21-04-2006, 13:18
couple scratches on my newly done wheels, hopfully they'll buff out fine,

What did you had done to your wheels? That's might be another point to suspect.

I once had a severe tyre deflation on a scooby while rounding a tight corner. It was because the tyres were just fitted some hours ago and not bedded in yet. It seems the rubbers do wobble a bit until they are mated properly.

Just got me wheels back from Pristine, getting refurbed, ACE Job BTW, all tyres replaced balanced at my local under my supervision so no problem there, tyres that are on at the moment are Fulda Carat Attiro, quality tyre in days gone by still being made under the Goodyear Branding I beleive, so tyre choice wasn't all bad?!

If i wanted to I couldve accelerated all the way round that bend, it's a long sweeping number one i've been taking for 9 years now and even in my M3 in the wet and never had so much as a twitch, this is the reason i'm so bemused/confused, wasn't/hadn't braked only had neutral throttle on(no lift off) pretty much freewheeling round and completely snapped on me, she's off up on the ramps today hopefully we'll find something a-miss for piece of minds sake :wink:

Need ti get off my ass an give her a wash, kinda got a mud splattering, might nip up n take a pic of this road give u an idea what could've been Just been speaking to my mate, he reckons he nips round this bend at 55-60 all day long in A MERCEDES A-CLASS the on that couldn't pass the elk test and tipped over if u looked at it the long way - Makes me feel a right tit :oops:

Many thanx for comments guys will be checking all today :roll: :roll:

VIPERONE
21-04-2006, 13:34
yeah..may be that a reqar shocker has snapped..or aloose bolt...

oil is bad.. we spun a cop van at low speed in oil.. tanker had discharged it all over the road