PDA

View Full Version : Cracked my sump today!

Coops
18-04-2006, 19:29
theres the thanks you get from a french car for treatin it to new tyres!f**king thing! :evil:

thankfully its a small hairline fracture and am not loosing much oil, i;ve had a look tonight and after speakin to gunnergibb n my missus dad i have a masterplan! so far i've used a little ball peening hammer to reshape the alloy either side of the crack and sealed it temporarily. this has reduced the leak to a tiny seep from an area i cant get the hammer into cuz of the shape of the sump. on gibbos advice am gonna drain the sump, clean it up and chemical weld it at the weekend and hopefully that shud hold it!

if none of this works, watch this space......cough....perfect...excuse...sneeze....m egane......sniff....b/e...

MAXIBOY
18-04-2006, 19:44
and a sump guard. :twisted:

Coops
18-04-2006, 19:47
was talkin to gibbo bout that, can u still buy em or is it fabrication time? 8)

Anders
18-04-2006, 19:48
Can you not braze it?

Only need a little heat and a brazing rod.

Coops
18-04-2006, 19:50
cud do, but i got the chemical shite now and tbh i have no idea what brazing is, am strugglin to be a budding mechanic, let alone a fabrication engineer!! :P

MAXIBOY
18-04-2006, 19:53
not sure renault use to list them though. think i will lock on demon tweeks now

MAXIBOY
18-04-2006, 20:03
demon tweeks sell omp guards. have e mailed to see if they do one for the clio

Coops
18-04-2006, 21:30
cheers matey! :wink:

my weak ass sump will need a shield now, its not leaking anymore tho 8) , amazing what a good pounding.........with a hammer can do! :P

Winston
19-04-2006, 01:59
Ive cracked mine too ........how you crack yours?

northy
19-04-2006, 07:41
sump guards are still avalaible from demon tweeks.

Twincam
19-04-2006, 07:47
Chemical welding it will be fine, i cracked one on my 19

never leaked and it was fine for over a year before i could be bothered to change it

I didnt even bother draining the oil but it would be easyer if you did

As for sump guards make one up or get a local metal fabrication to it would be alot cheaper than demons tweeks omp one

and youl have to fit a oil cooler due to the lack of air cooling around the sump youl be suprised how much the temps go up with one fitted

Swervin_Mervin
19-04-2006, 10:16
I didn't drain mine. Just wiped it with a rag and got the JB Weld on it. It's been fine ever since.

Sprung an oil leak somewhere else now though. :roll:

clowo16v
19-04-2006, 10:32
JB Weld or chemical metal is great for repairing cracks. My dad put chemical metal on a crack on the sump on his XR4x4 and it stopped the leak, and when we came to get it welded we couldn't get it off.

Matt

Coops
19-04-2006, 18:51
no idea winston mate!went for a thrash on shitty sheffield roads, dont remeber any bumps really but i did hit the bumpstops on suspension cupla times, so likely it was one time then!doh!

thats why i tried ringing u tho mate, for advice!

what u doing with urs?

update n all, its still leaking a tiny tiny bit, rekon the heat expansion has reopened the crack, gonna put another layer of the chem metal stuff over it tomos if i get chance, but am talkin miniscule amount it leakin so reasonably happy!!

Coops
19-04-2006, 20:58
Good news people. the residue i thought was leaking oil isn't!! was just the crap on the sump becoming more tactile cuz it was hot so that came off on my fingers!

after gettin under there for a proper look all seems well!! 8)