PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Brakes Help

Swervin_Mervin
18-04-2006, 14:32
Did the rear calipers a few weeks ago with Mr 2Live and we bled them at the time using the normal 2-man method.

However the pedal was a touch spongy and would very slowly sink to the floor if you sat with your foot on the pedal, unless you lifted the pedal and then hit it again, when it would go firm and not budge. Must be air.

So I got a pressure bleeding kit and did them myself, but because of the turbines I took the wheels off and had it level on axle stands. Did all 4 'til fresh fluid was coming out, but whilst slightly better it still does it.

It was suggested to me on a non-renault site that the bias valve might not be open as the rear was unloaded.

Can anyone help or shed any light on this?

Duli
18-04-2006, 14:38
I have the same problem with my 1.4RT (94 model).

Anders
18-04-2006, 16:50
I bled all mine with all 4 wheels off the floor. No problem with mine.

You sure all your seals are OK, and the bleed screws are tightened back up OK. I have somehow never trusted the 1 man kits. Always the old 2 man method. I do them diagonally too, not sure if that makes a difference.

Swervin_Mervin
18-04-2006, 16:56
Mine has ABS dude so has to be (according to Haynes at least) front left, front right, rear left, rear right.

I've had this before on the car though, and last time the garage did it.

BRUN
18-04-2006, 16:57
i thought it was the other way around ?

RR...RL...FR...FL

basically starting at the wheel furthest away from the ABS unit

Swervin_Mervin
18-04-2006, 16:58
Not according to Haynes mate.

Anders
18-04-2006, 17:07
Ah well...

I'll get mi coat

Martin
18-04-2006, 17:17
Mine has ABS dude so has to be (according to Haynes at least) front left, front right, rear left, rear right.

I've had this before on the car though, and last time the garage did it.

abs on a ph1? WAs it an option or summut... :?

Swervin_Mervin
18-04-2006, 17:39
Shrugs. Dunno, but it deffo has it. Jon said it was odd to see it on a ph1.

2 live
18-04-2006, 17:46
aye very strange to see it on a ph 1........1st one iv seen with it tbh.

MatBrown
18-04-2006, 18:15
My Red 16v had ABS.

Mat.

2 live
18-04-2006, 18:56
i retract my statement then lol....

dint know it had abs too lol.

James Clio 16v
18-04-2006, 22:50
Don't know if the below link will help, but it sounds similar to what is happening with yours.

http://www.retro-renault.com/viewtopic.php?t=8079

steveos_16valver
18-04-2006, 23:15

RR...RL...FR...FL

FULL MARKS mate tis correct fell furthest away first .

ok so this didnt work get it back on axle stands (level)
crack off all 4 nipples :) and leave them to drip for 5 mins whilst having a fag or cuppa watching the level

do nipples up
jump in pump pedal hold down and get some 1 to crack off the nipples RR/RL/FR/FL
whilst foot on the pedal still wait till there all cracked off NOT letting go of the pedal

do nip up
then bleed normally 1 more constantly watching the level as not to go low

then run it up the road should have a nice pedal be gentle dont rag it :)

and the bleed them 1 more time to be on the safe side

perfect :)

Swervin_Mervin
19-04-2006, 10:12

RR...RL...FR...FL

FULL MARKS mate tis correct fell furthest away first .

ok so this didnt work get it back on axle stands (level)
crack off all 4 nipples :) and leave them to drip for 5 mins whilst having a fag or cuppa watching the level

do nipples up
jump in pump pedal hold down and get some 1 to crack off the nipples RR/RL/FR/FL
whilst foot on the pedal still wait till there all cracked off NOT letting go of the pedal

do nip up
then bleed normally 1 more constantly watching the level as not to go low

then run it up the road should have a nice pedal be gentle dont rag it :)

and the bleed them 1 more time to be on the safe side

perfect :)

That is NOT the bleed order for an ABS car.

Swervin_Mervin
19-04-2006, 10:14
Don't know if the below link will help, but it sounds similar to what is happening with yours.

http://www.retro-renault.com/viewtopic.php?t=8079

Bit different mate. Mine has a spongy feel at all speeds, including stopped, unless you lift an press it again. It's deffo air in there as the second pump being firm is because the air was compressed on the first push.

Going to try and bleed again tonight with it on the ground.

BRUN
19-04-2006, 19:39
mines a phase 1 and mines got ABS lol

MattyH16valver
19-04-2006, 21:36
I'm changing my discs soon...I don't have to bleed the brakes unless I disconnect the caliper do I? Is it best to take the cap of the brake fluid bottle for precausion? Cheers..Matt

Swervin_Mervin
19-04-2006, 21:39
:P

Bled them again at the back tonight. Left rear first and with it on the ground and the valve under load the fluid came out nicely. Pumped the pedal whilst also having a pressure kit on.

Oddly though the right rear only let so much out. Tube to bottle was about 2ft long and it got to the end when I first opened it then backed off to about 18" down the tube. Pressed the pedal and unlike the left side it didn't sink to the floor it was pretty solid, and had to really press hard to get the fluid to push out.

Gave up in the end but it seems fine so far. WTF is that all about?

MAXIBOY
20-04-2006, 00:19
dirt or something. take the nipple out clean it or put new ones in and try again.

Swervin_Mervin
20-04-2006, 09:51
Good man.