PDA

View Full Version : Help needed identifying noises

James Clio 16v
18-04-2006, 00:06
My Williams engined 16v is making some terrible noises.

I need a bit of guidance as to what they are -

http://media.putfile.com/MOV00140-37

I think I have a sticky tappet, but the noise doesn't go away after being driven for a while.

Also, I think the whining may be the aux belt. I have tried tightening it and also released the tension a bit as well, in case it was too tight.

Any help identifying these would be great.

I'm hoping it is nothing too bad!

Cheers

James

Anders
18-04-2006, 06:55
Never had a sticky tappet before, so can't really comment.

The squeeking noise, if you have tightened up your aux belt, could be the tensioner bearings on the timing belt. Have you changed it recently?

James Clio 16v
18-04-2006, 08:48
The timing belt was done about about 7k ago.

I had a slight squeek on the aux belt and tried to tighten it up and it's ever since then that I have had this constant sound, so I don't think it is the timing belt. The aux belt was a cheapy part though as GSF done their usual cock-up of giving me the wrong belt and I needed the car!!!

The noises are the only indication of something being wrong.

The alternator is charging fine, the oil pressure is fine and there has been no loss in performance.

I was wondering if the squeek could be the aux tensioner pulley or even the alternator itself?

The squeeking increases with engine speed. I sprayed some WD-40 on the alternator pulley and the squeeking went (probably lubricated the belt!!), but came back again shortly after.

Cheers

James

Anders
18-04-2006, 11:35
How tight is your aux belt? Shouldn't be overtight, I think the rule of thumb is about 1/2 a turn with your hands. Being overtight could of stressed a bearing..

Only thing I can think of.

James Clio 16v
18-04-2006, 11:42
I think it probably is too tight.

I've got a genuine Renault aux belt coming on Saturday and I don't really use the car during the week, so I'm sure it will be fine until then.

Thanks for your help Anders.

Anybody have any idea about the knocking sound. I'm pretty sure this is a tappet, but I never had it on the Valver engine, so need a second opinion.

Thanks

James