PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help please??? williams 2 making horrible noise!

mark7984
17-04-2006, 11:22
Hi, im new to this place, just bought a williams 2, unfortunately when I start the car there is a horrible whining noise coming from the engine. It doesnt get louder when driven or revved, however the steering is really heavy and juddery and the noise gets louder when you turn the steering wheel. especialy if you the turn the wheel whilst stationary. Ive looked all over this forum and only found that it might be the pump?? is this correct? If it is how much should I roughly be paying fitted?? Or does anyone know anything else it could be? I am reluctant to take it anywhere until I have a good idea what it is as it sounds expensive and I dont want to get arse raped by some dodgy mechanic. Also if anyone knows of a good place to take it in the sheffield area that would be really helpfull too! Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. cheers

fasterthanjesus
17-04-2006, 11:28
its sounds as if your pump has lost its pressure.
will be best all round to replace it imho.

replacement pas pump @ 90 iirc ?

and about 4 hours labour.

mark7984
17-04-2006, 11:36
nice one m8, cheers.

again, if anyone knows a good place to take a williams in the sheffield area, that would be great. thanks.

Coops
17-04-2006, 11:52
erm, come to me in hillsborough and can check it over for u mate to confirm! cud just be low fluid in the resevoir, or badly bled system! 8)

mark7984
17-04-2006, 12:35
nice one mate, if it is the pump do you know how to it?? will have to be next week as I am not insuring the williams till the insurance company takes this courtesy car off me (long story). email me your number to mark@morrison33.fsnet.co.uk, I will ring you later in the week to arrange when. Thanks again, very good of you to offer your help, really appreciate it.

Purple
17-04-2006, 12:39
The auxiliary belt might be loose. If it is, try adjusting the idler pulley.

Coops
17-04-2006, 12:42
i'll drop u me number mate, i can do it but can run into problems so best off trying when got cupla days when the car aint needed so sooner the better really. no point in finding it needs new pump when u need the car!! like purplesun says tho, cud even be aux belt, give me a bell netime n i'll have a look at the car for you!

Coops

mark7984
18-04-2006, 00:30
just wanted to say thanks for all the help and advice from everyone, coops ill ring you later in the week to arrange for you to look at it. thanks

Laine_16v
18-04-2006, 07:55
Where can you get a PAS pump for £90? :shock:

Euro car parts like want £170 delivered :roll:

fasterthanjesus
18-04-2006, 09:14
it was a reconditioned one. and they took mine in part ex.

will try and dig out where my mechanical friend bought it from...

Anders
18-04-2006, 11:38
When I rebuilt mine Willy, my pump was noisy so I took the opportunity to put a new one in there, along with every other possible new part..

Have to say that it hasn't made a great deal of difference...I think they are all noisy. Try putting an additive into your fluid too when you put your new one in.

rt_blackpool
18-04-2006, 14:06
When I rebuilt mine Willy, my pump was noisy so I took the opportunity to put a new one in there, along with every other possible new part..

Have to say that it hasn't made a great deal of difference...I think they are all noisy. Try putting an additive into your fluid too when you put your new one in.

what kind of stuff can u put in with the PS fluid?

James Clio 16v
18-04-2006, 14:48
When I put my Williams engine in, I replaced all the 'lost' fluid with Slick 50. It is as quiet now and only gets noisy if too much fluid is lost through the breathe hole.

My pump was reconned about 2 years ago though.