PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise coming from front suspension

James Clio 16v
15-04-2006, 14:41
I've just fitted new wishbones, ball joints and track rod ends, but I'm still getting a knocking sound. :x

It mainly happens when I pull away, but I can feel it through the steering when turning at low speed.

New top mounts time?

Cheers

James

Anders
15-04-2006, 14:55
You sure it related to the suspension?

If it was then it would happen when driving, especially over rough terrain. Or under hard acceleration/deceleration. If it only happens at pulling away then it could be transmission related. I know you feel it through the steeering wheel, but as everything is connected you can almost feel everything through the steering on these cars.

Could be that the slack in play is taken up when driving off hence a slight knock.

I would investigate further. Jack up and rotate the road wheels by hand and see if there is any play. Or the driveshafts have any play.

Or, you could try and pull away with the handbrake on. Do this in first and release the clutch slightly to move the car forward, then dip to clutch to prevent stalling. You can do this as severe as you want. This will only stress the suspension and other mounting points, as the wheels won't rotate enough to effect transmission that much. Another way to isolate the problem/sound.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

James Clio 16v
15-04-2006, 15:25
Pretty sure. I can feel it under hard acceleration and deceleration.

It's hard to pin-point what it is, as the roads round this way are in a terrible state and everything bangs and crashes.

I'll check the wheels for play

Cheers

James

Crossers
16-04-2006, 10:16
I have the same problem on my RSi. I'm thinking its the top mount on my o/s.

Balljoints/track rod ends changed, no joy like yourself.

Mine does it as yours, also when stationary; if i turn the s/wheel to the left i get 1 knock.

****in anoying!

Paul

James Clio 16v
16-04-2006, 11:18
Sounds exactly the same as mine.

Can't really do anything until next weekend as I was unable to get the top mounts from Renault until then!

I'm going to check everything else whilst I'm at it.

I'll let you know how I get on.

James

Coops
16-04-2006, 12:17
think mine does the same lads, and its aint bearings or driveshafts on mine cuz i've checked em and rest of the components are reasonably new, so am hedgin me bets on top mounts!

clowo16v
16-04-2006, 12:35
Mines doing this.

I've also got a symtom where when the car wheelspins I get a knocking noise from the NS wheel. I'm guessing top mounts but i'm renewing all the suspension anyway.

Matt

James Clio 16v
16-04-2006, 12:39
Damn cars!!

It sounds like it's going to fall apart!!

Coops
16-04-2006, 13:08
it wont! only bushes after all, its just metal on metal cuz the rubber is fahooked! i still rag the tits off mine, if the engine's screamin u cant here the suspension knockin! 8) :lol:

wavy
16-04-2006, 13:20
ye mines startet to make a clunkkin noise :(
either turn up the radio or hit the loud pedal :lol: