PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil change

Laine_16v
14-04-2006, 21:06
Want to do this on my car tommorow, anything to take caution to in particular?

Ive heard you can use automatic transmission fluid and that its actually better than manual box oil?

Whats everyones view on that?

BigBoreBri
15-04-2006, 01:42
Nope its relativly easy... the drain plug is above the plastic splash guard on the bottom of the gear box and you may need to remove the air box to get decent access to the fill plug on the front. The fill plug's plastic so try to be gentle with it... 8-[

Also ive just found using the right grade oil seems fine, i assume its the same as 75/80 for the JC5 and takes just under 3Ltrs.

Im not sure but i think auto trans/fluid needs changin more often as it might degrade faster... :?

1fast6
15-04-2006, 09:20
Im not sure but i think auto trans/fluid needs changin more often as it might degrade faster... :?

:? Where did you hear that? It's still a synth oil just like manual gearbox oil.

Anders
15-04-2006, 11:38
When I put my gearbox back on I added some Slick 50 gearbox oil additive for some extra protection and piece of mind. Wasn't cheap but hopefully worth it.

Also, have a close look at the oil and drain plug for any signs of metallic material. Tell tale sign that a bearing or summut is gonna go.

Don't get this stuff on your clothes, as gearbox oil is the stinkiest stuff known to man and I have had to throw so many clothes away because the smell won't go away.

Laine_16v
15-04-2006, 20:46
OMG, what a load of shit.

Drained the oil that came out no time, but took like 2 hours to bloody put new stuff in, had to use a tiny tube to feed it in and it took for fu*** ever!!

Even then i still cant feel any oil when i put my finger through the hole, its drunken enough of the stuff though and it was getting dark.

And the worst fu**** part of it all? The tube connected to the funnel about 5mm diamter and 4cm fell into the hole!! Am i in big shit here? I drove it home (3 Miles), and all seemed well, is the box going to go bang on me, i can just imagine that pipe getting stuck between some cogs :(

Doesnt grind into 2nd so far either

lankyboy
15-04-2006, 23:19
tip for filling up the gear box
get a bit of hose pipe and a funnel
cut the pipe at one end at and angle
attach the other end to the funnel and tape it up to hold it
put the "slash cut" end in the box and pour the oil in the funnel
job done we well quick this way and i know that valver gearboxes take 3 1/2 litres of oil!!!

clowo16v
16-04-2006, 00:09
A bit of pipe in the box will certainly shorten the life but i'm not sure by how much. You're gonna have to take the box off and take it to bits to get the pipe out anyway so if it blows its the same problem.

A piece of normal size garden hose pipe goes in the hole perfectly and doesn't take too long to fill.

Matt

Laine_16v
16-04-2006, 09:16
The gearbox is on its last legs anyway, had a long run on my private motorway today doing about 100mph for about 40 or so miles, then when changing into 2nd itll crunch, and in that journey it started crunching into 3rd aswell, which its never done before.

POS gearboxes :P , guna top it up properly today hopefully.

Mattie
16-04-2006, 18:49
im runnin ATF fluid from halfords in mine....so far all is good 8) .....

touch wood!

ull kno wen the box is full as the oil will start 2 drip / flow out of the hole ur puttin it in

Laine_16v
16-04-2006, 20:30
Ok used a hosepipe today (didnt have access to one last time), filled it up in like 30 seconds :roll:

All seems good except its a little hard to get it into 5th now, maybe that pipe has wedged itself in somewhere and is causing a problem :(