PDA

View Full Version : Car is Dead!!

Loz
14-04-2006, 20:08
was driving down the motorway at 65mph, and suddenly loose all power then cuts out, i look in my rear view mirror and the road is covered in whit smoke from my car.

about 2 minutes prior to this happening the engine was making a loud ticking noise on accelaration.

any ideas? is my engine well and truly dead? time for a 2.0 maybe?

rt_blackpool
14-04-2006, 20:13
sounds like ur head gasket has gone, same happened to me :)

Andyvalver
14-04-2006, 20:14
Head gasket :?

Loz
14-04-2006, 20:28
and the car wont start, or even try and turn.

so still think its the head gasket? i hope so!!!!

rt_blackpool
14-04-2006, 20:51
im not 100%, but it does sound a lot like mine. although mine was in a 1.4 btw

came off the motorway and stoped at some lights and i managed to cover a 4 lane road in white steam. aparently water had gotten into the engine and was coming down the exhaust through the cat and the back box and turning into steam.

there was a layby just up the road so i crawled the car up there and pull over. when the brakedown guy came he toped up the header (which was empty) and tried starting it and it did nothing. sounded just like a flat bat, however i got home and a couple of days later tried jumping it and exactly the same thing, so i just kept turning it and turning it until it coughed into life.
the engine must have been full of water, and as i was turning it it was forcing the water out.

stan
15-04-2006, 01:09
ticking noise and the fact it wont turn sounds worrying.

sounds like uve done some shell damage. was oil level ok? did oil pressure drop just befor it ccut out?

i have a willy bottom end im about to rebuild...i could fit that for you. or if you find a lump i can renuild it, or simply fit it. pm me for more info

Loz
15-04-2006, 11:09
after drowning my sorrows last night, i've been out to have a closer inspection without getting too dirty.

so i opened the bonnet, and the header tank was empty, so i put 8liters of water in, i looked under the car to see if it was coming out, and it was all flowing out down the sump, bringing some oil with it.

i tried to get under to see where it was coming from but my car is so low i cant even get my head under the front bumper.

i tried to turn it over and it just made one loud Click. like its jammed and wont turn.

Stan: i didn't realise the oil pressure before hand, and the oil was well topped up.

Anyone Else? HELP!!!

Laine_16v
15-04-2006, 11:12
Well if its lost all its water and its coming out somewhere near the sump, then it really isnt good news :/

Anders
15-04-2006, 11:31
If its the head gasket that has gone, then all the water will be in the cylinders..hence nothing in the water tank.

It won't turn over because there isn't enough power in the stater motor to push out all of the water.

Check your dipstick or take a peek inside the rocker cover...if water has been mixing with your oil (especially steam) then it will be all white and sticky...

Not too much trouble to fix, but you have to get the head skimmed as there is most likely a pin sized dimple in it now.

Don't worry mate, its easier than it seems right now...keep the faith!!

Coops
15-04-2006, 11:56
whip out the spark plugs matey, then try turning the engine over on the key. shud get a load of water out the top then, confirm this and its the head gasket thats gone.

Loz
15-04-2006, 12:00
i'll go and try this now.. thanks.

i pulled the dip stick out and there is water on it...

rt_blackpool
15-04-2006, 12:29
as i said, when mine happened i disconnected the header tank (both pipes) and just kept turning it over and it spluttered a few times then started firing.

only prob is u can do some really damage doing that (bent rods etc). once it was started i left it running and it chucked all the water out of the system. i never got mine fixed in the end as i was quoted between £150 and £250 to fix it.

that included strippig down the engine, new gasket head skimming re fitting etc etc.

Loz
15-04-2006, 12:57
just took the spark plugs out, i pulled the leads out and they were full of oil...hmmm...

so i continued to take the plugs out and this is what i found

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f276/lozoatway/DSCN0683.jpg

so as was told, i tried to turn the car over with all the plugs out, and nothing, same as before, just a click.

anyone want to buy a 16v with a engine problem?

Coops
15-04-2006, 13:00
symultaneous head gasket and starter motor death? no reason why it shudnt start if the h/g blows :?

1fast6
15-04-2006, 16:07
hmm so it looks like the gasket has gone in a big way then considering it was burning coolant when it blew and the camber is stuffed full of oil.

Take it to coop to get fixed lol. Its not that hard with 2 people doing it. But if i was you, i would keep trying to turn it over if the chamber is full of shit because you could damage the rods/shells.

Coops
15-04-2006, 17:24
Take it to coop to get fixed lol.

oh no, i aint doin another one on me own, took long enough 1st time! :P

steveos_16valver
15-04-2006, 18:28
can you turn it over by hand eg get a socket on the bottom pully and turn it over tbo imo new engine mate to me sounds like bottom end problems
wack a 2.0 willy in there and be done with it

MattyH16valver
15-04-2006, 18:49
can you turn it over by hand eg get a socket on the bottom pully and turn it over tbo imo new engine mate to me sounds like bottom end problems
wack a 2.0 willy in there and be done with it
Best way to go! 8)

stan
16-04-2006, 10:56
right sounds v.serious.

1) u cant turn it over
2) water in sump
3) mechanical noises before stopping

if the h/g had simply failed, the bores wouldnt "be full of water", so rule that out.

sounds to me like uve thrown a con-rod, and its smashed a bore.

without seeing it in person, and given the information u have stated, i cant say more than that really.

clowo16v
16-04-2006, 12:32
Its ****ed basically take the motor out and fit something else.

The headgasket might have gone and the engine may have hydraulic locked, which can bend rods/crank and maybe crack the block.

Matt

stan
16-04-2006, 13:06
why would it have hydraulic'd? the ammount of fluid required for that to happen is far from consistent with a h/g failure. a leaking headgasket would leak a small ammount of coolant into the chamber=steam

Rich
16-04-2006, 13:10
i managed to hydraulic mine from a wrongly laid HG which was my own fault (caught it on the locating dowel on contact of the head to b/e and moved it slightly) luckily it was when turning over without the coil lead on so managed not to damage owt, wasnt much water that got in imo but still caused it to lock so it could happen but tbh its not very likely to have unless the HG has literally shot to pieces in many places

stan
16-04-2006, 13:23
The gasket must have moved off the dowl mate (or it didnt have dowl?), there isnt enough movement if its on the dowl. in which case it it would have moved quite a bit, and in all probablyility not ran if the coil lead was connected.

Thats different to head gasket failure on an otherwise running engine.

Coops
16-04-2006, 13:27
them dowels are a bastard, i had one stuck in the head, so it was taken out when head was skimmed and then i stuck it back in the head like an idiot n cudnt get it out! u wanna try replacing the head, on ur own, with no crane or lift purely by hand onto th b/e with the head gasket held by one dowel only. flippin thing kept slippin, took forever get it right! :oops:

we live and learn tho, least next time i'll realise where the dowels shud be! 8)

Rich
16-04-2006, 14:25
The gasket must have moved off the dowl mate (or it didnt have dowl?), there isnt enough movement if its on the dowl. in which case it it would have moved quite a bit, and in all probablyility not ran if the coil lead was connected.

Thats different to head gasket failure on an otherwise running engine.
ahh right now i know! yeah it must have moved quite a bit as the dowels were deffo in, was a unipart HG as well (bags of shit) would never touch one of them again as they are the sole most useless thing on the planet (yes even more than a cooked spaghetti fork)

you learn something new everyday, thanks for the addition to my knowledge base stan :wink:

VIPERONE
02-05-2006, 22:53
hmm from my experience i'd say the piston has gone.. sounds like number 2 piston or number 3....they can snap and blow holes in the block

Coops
02-05-2006, 22:57
:lol:

VIPERONE
02-05-2006, 23:30
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Loz
02-05-2006, 23:43
LMAO!!