PDA

View Full Version : the oil pressure sensor

rt_blackpool
13-04-2006, 14:45
can anyone show me, or give a good description of where the oil pressure sensor is on the engine pls?

i've seen a few posts on here about but i cant find it :(

pics would most deff help ;)

dannyb1986
13-04-2006, 18:11
its under the exhaust manifold, its a cylinder about an inch high, and has a wire from the top! you might not be able to see it but you can feel it, it comes out from the cam belt housing!

rt_blackpool
13-04-2006, 18:21
cheers danny boy, i'll go have a mouch around after tea :)

dannyb1986
14-04-2006, 10:47
you find it then buddy?

rt_blackpool
02-05-2006, 10:20
sorry its taken ages to reply danny, i think i found it.
it was underneath the manifold on the back of the block and from what i can feel (cant see it) it has a little plug going into the top of it? is that it?

also as an update, something strange happened the other day. me and my dad were tyding up the engine bay (removing an old negative wire that wasnt needed) and i just happened to put the ignition on and the oil pressure gauge jumped up to 6. so i asked my dad to stop what he was doing and it dropped to 0 again, he did what he was doing 1st time and it jumped up to 6.

so i thought we'd solved it, however i went to start the car and it bounced up and down a few times and then just dropped to 0 and hasnt done anything since :(

any ideas?

dannyb1986
02-05-2006, 18:11
yeah if you take the lead off the pressure switch, and put it to earth, like a bolt on the rocker cover, anything that is earthed and unpainted, it just short circuits and misses out the switch, i did this to test my gauge was ok, thats all it is that makes it go to 6 bar, your just earthing it out and by passing the switch, if that makes sense!

rt_blackpool
03-05-2006, 07:29
yeah the gauge must be fine, shorted it out like you said and it went straight to 6.

next question, how the fudge do i get the connector back onto the sensor?!
the only thing ive come up with is taking off that heat shield between the exhaust branches and the sensor. i've got the 2 bolts out at the the top, but i cant get turn the 3rd one (the one at the back of the engine).

any ideas?

dannyb1986
03-05-2006, 13:42
to take the laswt bolt out you need to remove the exhaust manifold i think, i didnt even put the heatshield back on!! i get it back on by just feeling for teh little tab, but you may struggle with the heatshield still on! or you could try taking the switch out first, put the wire on, disconnect it at the other end, or cut it at the other end, wind your switch back on, then rejoin the wire! if you get me!!

rt_blackpool
04-05-2006, 15:02
the exhaust manifold isnt coming off, havnt got a new gasket for it so i'll either have to get the bolt out another way, or removing the switch sounds good.

what holds it in? and when it comes out will it pish oil everywhere!?

dannyb1986
04-05-2006, 18:24
its just a thread that holds it, you need a 19mm spanner to get on it, smaller the better!! once you have cracked it you should be able to wind it out by hand, and it wont piss oil out if the engines off!!!