PDA

View Full Version : Jump Starting

donsrno1
12-04-2006, 17:27
This might be a stupid question, but I've never had to jump start a car before. If you jump start a car should the car continue to run fine once you disconnect the jump leads?

The reason I ask is that the 16v I'm looking at I'm going to go for a drive of it on Sunday, but the owner said I would have to bring a battery with me as it just dies once you disconnect the jump leads. Is this usual or does it suggest the battery, or something else, is knackered?

The car has been sitting for a couple of months BTW.

Also, I presume I would be OK to put the batery from my 1.4 RT clio into the 16v and it should all be OK?

Thanks.

northy
12-04-2006, 17:44
once the car is started you could in theory remove the battery and it should still run fine.

steveos_16valver
12-04-2006, 17:46
This might be a stupid question, but I've never had to jump start a car before. If you jump start a car should the car continue to run fine once you disconnect the jump leads?

The reason I ask is that the 16v I'm looking at I'm going to go for a drive of it on Sunday, but the owner said I would have to bring a battery with me as it just dies once you disconnect the jump leads. Is this usual or does it suggest the battery, or something else, is knackered?

The car has been sitting for a couple of months BTW.

Also, I presume I would be OK to put the batery from my 1.4 RT clio into the 16v and it should all be OK?

Thanks.

yes battery would be fine , probally if its been sitting for a long time then it probally just a completly dead battery BUT the BIG but it could also mean alternators ****ed and not charging the battery up propally or theres something draining the battery whilst its off ??

donsrno1
12-04-2006, 17:48
once the car is started you could in theory remove the battery and it should still run fine.

That's what I thought, which is why I couldn't understand what he was saying. I'll probably take my battery along anyway TBH incase it cuts out or anything (or I stall with it being a different car :lol: ) so that I can start it up fine.

Should I be fine with the battery out of my 1.4 Clio?

Thanks.

steveos_16valver
12-04-2006, 17:49
if the batterys that ****ed it wont carry on running also might be low on distilled water or just fuked try a new battery and go from there

BRUN
12-04-2006, 18:32
sounds like alternator to me mate

even if the battery was ****ed it wouldnt matter, the alternator runs the electrics once your started, not the battery

BRUN
12-04-2006, 18:33
Should I be fine with the battery out of my 1.4 Clio?

Thanks.

yup, same battery mate, unless the owner has fitted a bigger one, but yours will still be perfectly fine

donsrno1
12-04-2006, 20:05
Spoke to Chris H over on retro-renault and he said it could just be the battery, alternator or one of the fuses. I'll just try putting my battery in and then see what happens.

donsrno1
13-04-2006, 00:02
sounds like alternator to me mate

even if the battery was f**ked it wouldnt matter, the alternator runs the electrics once your started, not the battery

As I said beofre thats what I had thought initially, but the battery must make a difference if once the jump leads are disconnected from it the engine cuts out.

I have been told that if I put the battery from my car which I know to be fine in and the battery light on the dash lights up then the alternator is the problem, but if that is the case do you think the light will show up immediately when idling or would it take a while?

The reason I ask that is that I don't want to find myself midway through taking it for a drive and then having it cut out on me.