PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

donsrno1
09-04-2006, 21:27
A clio I might be buying has a bit of an oil leak and I just wanted to see what could be the possible causes. The leak comes from the back of the engine somewhere and you can see oil across the length of the sump which has come from the back of the engine.

The possibilities I know of are:

Oil Pressure Sensor (I think that's what it's called)
Sump Plug
Core Plug
Head Gasket

Are there any other possibilities (or common possibilities anyway) that I have not mentioned.

I don't think it will be the sump plug as the car had been sitting for two months but there was still a lot of oil left in it (about half way between min and max on the dipstick) whereas when it had been running he went through about 5 litres of oil in a period o two months.

If it was the oil pressure sensor, would that affect the operation of the oil pressure gauge on the dash?

Thanks.

hedges
10-04-2006, 10:42
i had the same problem u have about 2 months ago , it cost me £570 to get it sorted as it was was the main oil seal between the gearbox and engine !
now i have another leak :evil:

donsrno1
10-04-2006, 10:59
i had the same problem u have about 2 months ago , it cost me £570 to get it sorted as it was was the main oil seal between the gearbox and engine !

Would that leave oil coming down from the back of the sump though?

Any way of checking incase this is the problem?

summeh
10-04-2006, 12:14
could be the rocker cover gasket, they tend to go.

donsrno1
10-04-2006, 12:18
could be the rocker cover gasket, they tend to go.

Yeah, I had that go on my RT. How could I check if that was the problem on a 16v? I know on the RT I got oil in one of the spark plug wells but I don't know the tell tale signs on a 16v engine.

midge
10-04-2006, 12:31
i had a mysterious oil leak on my car, took a while to find, sounds like yours is coming from the same place, if you stand in front of the car, on the right side of the head at the bottom facing you there is a plate bolted onto the head, on my car the oil was leeking from this running across the coolant pipe that runs under the ridge off the head and then putting oil all over the back off the block/gearbox/starter motor and then running down.
put your hands on the coolant pipe and see if its got oil onit

Lunner
10-04-2006, 21:23

There's a seal between teh gear box and the engine....news to me lol......ahhhh thats the one that hold the oil that lubricates the clutch :roll: .....garage tried pulling that one on me too lol

midge
11-04-2006, 12:34
there is a seal betwen the flywheel and the bottom end, crank seal...

martin678
11-04-2006, 19:08
i have an oil leek there. is there one had it done and nos round about how much it would be?