PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Sills

donsrno1
09-04-2006, 00:45
A clio I was looking to buy quite cheaply has a few issues, one of which is rusty sills. The rust is on the rail type bits that stick down from the sills. I know that's a crap description but you might be able to tell what I mean from this photo (crap photo as well), it's the black bit in the photo I mean.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/donsrno1/4969b75b.jpg

The black bit is quite rotten for the length of the sills on both sides and I just wondered roughly how much it would be likely to cost to have this fixed so that I wouldn't have any problems come MOT time, as I guess this rust would spread to the rest of the sills?

Are the rails even needed for the mot or could they just be cut off?

Thanks.

Laine_16v
09-04-2006, 08:57
They are needed for MOT i believe, i too bought a clio with a rusty sill.

Had holes in it, beyond welding repair in my opinion.

It cost me £140 at a local bodyshop to have a new one fitted and sprayed, looks perfect now.

donsrno1
09-04-2006, 12:14
Cheers mate, it's annoying as it's only these rails that are rusty and the rest of the sill is perfect.

Anyone else had this repaired, and if so how much did it cost.

MAXIBOY
09-04-2006, 17:39
basically the bottom rail is the bottom of the sill. just clean it up using a wire brush in a drill. and then treat it inside and out with some thing really good like dinitrol 3125 and 4941. should last a few more years then.

donsrno1
09-04-2006, 18:11
basically the bottom rail is the bottom of the sill. just clean it up using a wire brush in a drill. and then treat it inside and out with some thing really good like dinitrol 3125 and 4941. should last a few more years then.

I'll have to have another look at it but TBH I think most of it would just crumble away completely as it's quite badly rusted, so I don't think cleaning it up is an option.

MAXIBOY
09-04-2006, 19:15
well you need to have it welded up then mate. if you do save your self money by cleaning it all back to clean metal and preparing it for welding and painting it all with a werld though primer. if its not cleaned properly it will come back quickly.

donsrno1
10-04-2006, 00:00
well you need to have it welded up then mate. if you do save your self money by cleaning it all back to clean metal and preparing it for welding and painting it all with a werld though primer. if its not cleaned properly it will come back quickly.

Will probably do that then. How much do you reckon it would be to sort it if I did that myself. I wouldn't be that bothered about a great job being done in terms of appearance, as long as it would pass it's MOT and the rust wouldn't come back any time soon.

Mattie
11-04-2006, 18:34
i need my arches and sills doin :(